CHAPTER 13

The Friday evening became a repeat of the non event double date they'd had with Fabian and Melissa.  Tessa had wanted to spend the evening in, with Brad, he'd agreed.  She'd come home, prepared dinner, expecting him at seven, he was late.  At eight, he had still not arrived.  At nine, with her patience wearing thin, she poured herself another glass of wine and waited.  At ten, she was starving.  Tessa served herself a portion of dinner and ate alone. 

It was not the first time she'd had dinner alone, but it was the first time she felt the silence, the loneliness, and the lack of company envelop her, like a cold, dark winter's night.

I only want Brad's company.

She dumped the rest of dinner into the refrigerator and went to bed.  She felt the emptiness in her bed, it was cold and unwelcoming.  She reached out and touched his pillow.

When Tessa awoke in the morning, she instantly sensed Brad's presence in her bed.  His arms, she noted a moment later, was tightly around her.  Her back was to him, but she was comfortably nestled in his arms. 

What time did he get in?  How come I had not heard a thing? 

That's the problem when you give a man a set of keys to your apartment.   Her body had become too comfortable and familiar with him.   Tension gripped her this morning.  She was angry with herself, for allowing things to get as far as they had with Brad.    She was angrier because he still had the power to arouse and excite her even right now this morning she wanted him.   When Tessa tried to sneak out of bed, Brad's arms tightened around her. 

So he's awake

She took a moment, trying to figure out how to deal with things between them this morning, but uncharacteristically, anger got the better of her. 

'Let me guess you had a super crisis you could not tear yourself away from again,' Tessa spat out, without even bothering to greet him.

You sound like a nagging wife Tessa!

Brad did not answer.  When Tessa tried again to get out of bed, Brad pinned her down with his own body. 
'Get off me, I want to get up,' Tessa ranted. 
It was Saturday morning, she did not really have any plans, but anywhere was better than Brad's arms when she was spitting mad at him.

'Good morning,' he kissed her lips.  She refused to kiss him back.  She knew by letting Brad see how livid she was, she was inadvertently informing him she cared about him, but she was too damn angry to care than he knew she cared. 
Was there any logic in that, go figure? 

'I want to take you skiing,' Brad commented. 

She loved skiing, she would have absolutely enjoyed skiing with him, but she was not going anywhere with him, ever again, and this time tomorrow, this relationship was so going to be over.

'I have plans,' Tessa lied, refusing to look into his eyes, for his chest was still draped distractingly over her body.  She wanted to shove him off, but she was too afraid to touch him.  She did not trust herself.

'Cancel them,' Brad gravely instructed.

'For you?' she laughed acidly, and this time she did meet his steely eyes that looked dangerously unimpressed that she had plans that excluded him. 
'Go to hell,' she whispered, but her body was already surrendering, moulding to his, preparing for his possession.  He could see her eyes darken with desire for him, she could not hide that.

'I'm not releasing you, until you agree to spend the day with me,' he demanded, his eyes lowered to her luscious inviting lips.

'I will agree to no such thing,' she half heartedly tried to escape again.