Chapter 2

Chapter 2

                My eyelids were heavy as I struggled to keep awake during class. Mr. Richter’s voice drowned on monotonously, looking as if he was going to die from old age any second now. To keep myself alive in his class, I began to count the wrinkles that were on his forehead, creases becoming more prominent every time he raised an eyebrow.

                The classroom door suddenly creaked open, catching the attention of just about every student in the class. They all looked just as tired as I was, and a little glint of satisfaction sparked in their eyes when it was noticed that Mr. Richter’s lesson was being interrupted. My eyes gradually rose up from my desk, glancing over to door, where a too familiar figure was standing. 

                Jace Wasson, the very same male that was there just two days ago at Julianne’s therapy office for his sister, was standing right before my eyes. I took him in with my eyes, noticing every little detail about him- from his effortlessly ruffled hair to his drowsy dark eyes. I hadn’t ever realized that he was ever in one of my classes until Julianne pointed him out to me. Just as Jace was trudging towards the back of the classroom to take his seat, Mr. Richter stopped him. “Mr. Wasson, would you like to explain to the class why you’re late, yet again?”

                Jace was facing his back towards Mr. Richter, so I could easily see the amount of irritation that had clouded over his face. “I overslept, sir.” Jace muttered, his voice without an ounce of emotion other than coldness.

                “And what were you doing last night that kept you too occupied to get your sleep?” Mr. Richter pestered. “What is it that you damned teenagers do these days? Party? Sex? Smoke?”

                I studied every body movement that Jace made, noticing that his fists were clenched, his lips pressed into a tight line, as if he was trying to hold back the use of profanity in his words. “Contrary to your belief, sir, I did nothing of the above last night.” Jace spat, making students gasp. “And besides, what I do in my spare time does not concern you.”

                Mr. Richter was fuming, the vein in his forehead popping out. His face was turning red, and if this was a cartoon, then there would be steam coming from his ears. “G-Get out of my classroom,” Mr. Richter paused, taking in deep breaths, “now!”

                Jace rolled his eyes, swinging the door wide open. “Gladly.” He muttered sarcastically, slamming the door behind him.

                Mr. Richter glared at the door that Jace had left out of, shaking his head in disgust. “Kids these days.” He muttered under his breath, taking a quick moment to settle down. After Mr. Richter relaxed, his eyes reached to mine. “Everly Winter, please come see me after class.”

                I frowned in concern, wondering if I was in trouble. As far as I was concern, I was doing well in Mr. Richter’s class. “Uh, okay.” I muttered quietly, thoughts filling my head.

                Once the bell rang, kids filed out of the classroom quickly, eager to get out of AP Calculus. I made sure to pack my things extra slowly, and once everyone was out of the room, I got up from my seat, approaching Mr. Richter’s desk. He was staring down at his black binder, the grade book. I cleared my throat, Mr. Richter’s eyes peering up to mine. “Sir, you wanted to see me?”

                Mr. Richter nodded, pushing his eyeglasses up to the bridge of his nose. “Right, Everly Winter.” He muttered, taking one last glance at his grade book. “I was wondering if you would be interested in some extra credit on exams, along with some service credit.”