Chapter 19

Chapter 19

After having a hearty Christmas meal for dinner later that night, I went in the kitchen to help Aunt Tara clean up. As we were alternating between washing and drying the dishes, Aunt Tara sparked up a long-awaited, yet dreaded question. "Everly," Aunt Tara began to speak softly, glancing at me from the corners of her eyes with sympathy, "How are things at home with your mother?"

I wiped the water dripping from the plates with a towel as I shifted my weight between each foot uncomfortably. I turned my gaze away from Aunt Tara's, who seemed to be staring me down.

I knew Aunt Tara was going to be asking me about the situation between my mother and I, but I didn't realize that it would be during Christmas. Coming from a bigger family, I knew that the gossip about my mother and father's divorce would spread around like a wildfire. It was no surprise that Aunt Tara already knew most of the details, not considering the fact that she and my mother were sisters.

"Things have been," I paused, trying to find the correct word to describe the unpleasant atmosphere back at home. I found myself trying my best to avoid my mother, but I wasn't ready to tell Aunt Tara that, yet, "different."

Aunt Tara gave me a soft smile, passing me the last plate from the sink as she took off her dishwashing gloves. She turned around so that her back was leaning against the counter of the sink, and she folded her arms across her chest. "I spoke to your mother last night when she called to tell me that she wasn't going to come for dinner today. She told me that her boss invited her to his dinner party." Aunt Tara said. I peered me eyes up over my eyelashes to get a better view of Aunt Tara, and judging by the sadness that was lingering in her eyes, I knew very well that Aunt Tara was informed about my mother's relationship with George Collins. "Look, doll, I know this must all be tough on you and I don't want you to feel like you're trapped and that you can't talk about it to anyone. Be honest dear, how are you feeling?"

I gulped, my heart sinking in my chest. Realization came upon me that everything Aunt Tara was saying was completely true. Other than Jace, I hadn't really had anyone to talk to about my feelings towards my mother and father. I would've spoke to Julianne about it, but she already had so much going on. And besides Jace and Julianne, I wasn't sure if there was anyone else who I trusted enough to talk to about my personal problems.

"Are you okay?" Aunt Tara asked, noticing that I was silent for quite some time.

I sighed, forcing a smile as I placed the last dish that I had to dry back into the cabinets. "I-I don't know how I am supposed to feel." I admitted. "I'm really pissed at my mother for being so selfish. She's ruined my family and she doesn't even realize it because she's off drinking expensive wine with her stupid boss and probably getting to know his rich family."

Aunt Tara nodded understandingly. "And your dad?"

I smiled sadly at the memory of my father and how he hasn't called me in a while now, not since he called to break the news about moving to Los Angeles. "I guess I feel kind of abandoned by him." I admitted, closing my eyes briefly to hold in the tears that were welling up in my eyes. "He just left me with mom, even though she was the one who hurt us all in the end. He's only called me once since he moved."

"Have you tried calling him yourself?" Aunt Tara asked, holding my hand with comfort.

"Voicemail." I whispered. "It goes straight to voicemail every time I try to call him."

Aunt Tara wrapped her arms around me tightly, pulling me into a comforting embrace. "It'll get better, Everly." Aunt Tara said in a promising tone. She used her palms to rub circles onto my back as I blinked away the tears. "But first, you need to forgive your mother."