Chapter 9

before you guys read, please know that i'm really sorry for slacking off on this story. i didn't expect school to get in the way so much? but, thank you for being patient with me! in advance, merry christmas and happy new years!

Chapter 9

                It was no secret that I’ve been trying to keep my distance away from my own mother.

                Ever since the big blowout that caused my father to leave, I’ve been trying my very best to avoid any communication and eye contact with my mother. The only times I would be home was to sleep. Other than that, I was always staying later at school to tutor Jace or having dinner over at Julianne’s place and staying until I knew it was safe to go home without any confrontation with my mom.

                I still haven’t forgiven her for ripping my family apart into shreds- I don’t know if I would ever be able to.

                “Everly, what time are you going to be home tonight?” my mother asked before I got to sneak out to go to Jace’s house.

                My back was turned to her, so luckily for me, she didn’t see my lips moving as I cursed under my breath. I closed my eyes, squeezing them tightly before releasing a sigh. “I don’t know.” I managed to muster without any emotion being shown in my voice. “I won’t be home for dinner, though.”

                There was a momentary pause and for a second, it was so deafening quiet that the only audible noise was the sounds of us breathing slowly. “Again?” my mother asked, trying to break the thick tension that had managed to build up between the two of us these past few weeks. “You haven’t been home for dinner in quite a while.”

                “Well, I’ve been really busy with-,” I got cut off.

                “Please, honey.” My mother begged. For the first time in a long while, I turned around slowly to face my mother. I looked her straight in the eye, finally noticing that for all these weeks, her emotional state has been deteriorating. It instantly sent a pain to my chest to see my own mother in such misery. I didn’t know if it was right for me to pity her or not. “I know I messed things up, but I don’t want to lose you either.”

                “You didn’t have to lose dad.” I snapped. “You chose to.”

                And there it was again, that awful, God awful silence.

                “Everly,” my mother began.

                I glanced over at the clock that hung on the wall over my head, noticing that I was already running behind. I took the time to interrupt her, shaking my head slowly. “I have to go.” I muttered coldly under my breath.

                Before I could escape, though, my mother’s cold hand shot out to grasp upon my arm. I immediately flinched from her touch, pulling away quickly as if the contact of our skin had burnt me. My mother looked so defeated at my instant reaction as a frown made its way upon her ageless skin. “Please come home for dinner.” She pleaded one last time before letting me go.

*

                When I reached the Wasson’s residence, Reina was the one to open the front door for me. I quickly noticed that she looked a bit more dressed up than usual. Her dark hair was neatly curled, falling just past her elbows in large ringlets, and she was wearing a lilac purple dress- the kind you see girls wearing to formal events only. “Someone looks extra fancy today.” I commented right after Reina escorted me inside. “You look great.”