Chapter 26

Chapter 26

A tranquil silence wavered between me and Jace. I tried to keep my gaze on anything and everything that wasn't him. My heart was beating unruly against my chest, thudding with every second that passed. Within such a short time span, Jace was already infiltrating my emotions yet again.

I did not know how much time passed before Jace finally said something, but it felt like forever. "So, how have you been?" he asked, breaking the silence.

I jumped at the suddenness of his voice, but I quickly recovered once I realized that he was looking at me. Clearing my throat, I gathered up everything that has happened these past few months in my mind and mustered a small smile. "I've been alright." I started, crossing my legs as I turned to Jace. "My dad finally called me in February and has been keeping in contact every week since then. As stupid as this sounds, every Sunday night at nine, I wait by the phone."

"That's not stupid," Jace smirked, "it's cute."

I stared down at my lap, smiling as I felt my cheeks get warm. "Well, he apologized for keeping out of contact and promised to visit in the summer." I paused, testing the limits with my next statement. "I really want to bring him to that diner you took me to a while ago. The one with the cookies and cream milkshakes you got for us."

Fearing for the worst, Jace surprised me when he smiled. "You remember that?"

"Of course I do." I assured. "Best milkshake, ever."

"Are you sure it wasn't memorable because of the company you had?" he teased.

Nodding, I said, "Well now that I think about it, the waitress was really nice."

Jace chuckled, and the sweet symphony of his laughter reminded me that this was all in the past. Whatever relationship Jace and I once had only existed at this very moment, and the second we stepped back into reality, it would be ripped from us. The thought of us becoming strangers again sent an aching pain to my chest, and judging by the glint of sadness in Jace's eyes, he felt the same way I did.

Standing up, I smoothed out my dress as I avoided eye contact with Jace. I knew that the second I stared into his orbs, I would be trapped. It took everything inside of me to resist him.

I just couldn't deal with the heartache and pain- not again.

"Well, I think our dates are waiting for us." I said quietly. "We should go back now."

Facing away from Jace, I took no more than three steps before I was stopped.

The heat from Jace's hand burned against my wrist as he held onto my arm tightly, like his life depended on it. For what seemed like the longest time, we did not speak, nor did we move. I let Jace hold onto my arm, filling my body with warmth as a chilly breeze swept past us.

Then suddenly, in just a split second, Jace pulled me toward him. His chest hugged my back as my eyes widened at the sudden movement. Placing his chin on my bare shoulder, Jace wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Princess," he whispered, the feeling of his breath on my skin sending shivers down my spine, "did you not hear me when I said I missed you earlier?"

I hesitated, gulping before I nodded slowly. "I-I heard you."

"Then why are you leaving?"

Tears welled up in my eyes as I rapidly blinked them away. I couldn't shake away the feeling of total completeness as Jace tightened his hold on me. All this time spent away from him made me realize just how much I needed him, and the thought of needing someone this badly scared the shit out of me. It was as if months of ignoring these feelings had finally caught up to me.