Chapter 32

The early morning's golden rays lit the valley up, making those still on their feet see that the snow had turned a deep crimson. "E-Edmund," Natalie sobbed, holding the dying King close to her, rocking slightly. She did not hear the yells and frantic sounds about her, did not the feel the biting cold on her cheek, did not see those who stood around her, abandoning their weapons as the battle finally ended. All she heard was Edmund's ragged breathing, all she felt was his cold body in her arms, all she saw was the blurry images of the boy she loved, still so young, dying in her arms. "Come back to me, please... you promised! You promised..." she begged, moving her hand to his cheek to caress him. "I love you..." she whispered in his ear, tears sliding down her cheeks and hitting his as she leaned over him.

Edmund gasped, his eyes snapping open and his body convulsing slightly, horrid pain very obvious in his eyes and voice. "N-Nat?" he groaned.

"Ed? Edmund? You bastard! You told me you wouldn't die!" Natalie bemoan, tears running down her cheeks as she held him half way on her lap. "You told me you..." she trailed off, too overwhelmed by fear and grief to speak clearly anymore.

"Hey..." Edmund began weakly, coughing slightly. "I'm... sorry for... for scaring you..." He reached up and brushed the tears from her eyes. "I'll be... fine, don't worry," he smiled, looking slightly over her shoulder.

"Don't worry?! In case you haven't noticed, pal, you're lying in a pool of your own blood!" She hissed, tears still freely falling from her eyes.

"I know," Edmund chuckled.

"Just why the hell are you laughing?" Natalie asked in exasperation, exhaustion threatening to make her black out already. She had to stay strong though. How could he possibly be so cheery at a time like this?!

"Because he's not going to die!" Natalie turned sharply to see Lucy run over with a strange bottle. The healing cordial! Of course! How could she have forgotten? Lucy knelt next to them and offered Edmund the potion, who readily took a drop. Before Natalie's eyes, the color returned to Edmund's cheeks and in a moment. As soon as he sat up, Natalie threw herself on him, making him bite back a groan of pain in favor of hugging her back.

"Easy..." he said. Natalie pulled back and was about to smack him again, but he caught her wrist and pulled her into another embrace. Natalie melted and relaxed, just holding him. Lucy watched on with a cheerful smile and gasped when she found herself being pulled into a hug as well. Edmund sat there in the battlefield and hugged his girls in a decidedly strong embrace.

Lucy suddenly pulled away and smiled, nodding at him when he gave her a look. "I'm going to go try to heal whoever else I can," she told them. She kissed her brother's cheek and stood. She waved at them and jogged off into the valley.

"I thought I lost you forever," Natalie gripped him tighter, as if afraid he would vanish into thin air if she let go.

Edmund smiled, rubbing her back comfortingly. "I told you everything would be alright," he soothed her. "Come on," he helped lift her to her feet. He was still in a bit of pain, but he knew that he was now in much better condition than she was. "I'm proud of you, you know," he smiled down at her.

"Mmh?" Natalie answered wordlessly, too exhaustion to form a coherent response. "M'glad this's over..." she muttered.

"Me too," Edmund sighed. He wanted to hold her tighter, kiss her like there was no tomorrow, but he was simply too tired to do so. He settled for just holding her.

All around them, soldiers put their weapons down, their enemies recovering their minds and capturing those who continued to be a problem. The enemies that could not be quelled had to be removed or chained, tied up, whatever it took. Edmund's Generals and Lieutenants taking care of it, unfortunately, the werewolves and hagravens, with their hearts full of hate, could not be left to roam the land, killing more innocents, so they had to be put down.