Chapter 21

After lunch, Natalie pulled Lucy to the library with her, deciding she needed some girl time with her friend. Lucy didn't complain of course, but you could tell that Edmund had wanted to talk about what happened and gave them an irritated look as they walked out. Natalie spent the rest of the day getting reassurance from her friend and working up the nerve to face Edmund again after the kiss. She knew that it wasn't a one time deal and she knew that his response to her embarrassing him would be swift. He wasn't the type to dawdle after all. The problem was, even though she enjoyed the kiss, she not only didn't exactly know how to kiss, not well anyway, she also wasn't sure if she got a hold of her tendency to panic and avoid people yet... in fact, one could call what she was doing now as avoidance!

Natalie stood by her mirror that next morning, staring at her reflection. She had gained a bit of healthy weight since she got here a month ago. She no longer looked scrawny and pale. She had developed a nice tan from the walks and horse-rides. She even gained a bit of muscle from her training with Lucy and Edmund! Over all, with a nice figure and long, wavy auburn hair and piercing green eyes, she looked pretty good! Feeling confidence in herself, she nodded at her reflection and swept through the room to the door. Today was the day that she would show Edmund that she could, in fact, 'resist' him. She knew that was what that look he gave her was and she wouldn't let him 'catch' her that easily!

"Good morning, Nat!" Lucy greeted as cheerfully as ever. This time Caspian was there too, chatting with Edmund as they waited.

"Morning, 'Lu," Natalie smiled.

"Hello there, Crow!" Caspian beamed.

"Lech," Natalie nodded. She turned to the other male, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Ed," she nodded once more in greeting and smiled at the Just King.

"Nat," Edmund greeted back, a crooked smile showing only partial toothiness.

'Oh he's good...' Natalie shook her head inwardly. He knew that she liked it when he smiled like a goof-ball. 'Two can play at that game!' While they walked over to the dining hall, she made sure to brush his hand along his slowly as she walked passed him. Ignoring her wildly beating heart at her boldness, she look back and gave him a half-lidded smile, having seen something like this in a movie once upon a time. She received the desired effect. Edmund's eyes widened and a blush tainted his cheeks. She looked away with a secretive smile.

"Can we cut the flirting down a bit until after we have breakfast? You two are making me lose my appetite!" Caspian joked, chuckling when his friend both jerked their heads to look forward and had identical blushes on their faces. During said breakfast, Natalie could feel Edmund's eyes on her every now and then when there was a pause in conversation, but she resolutely refused to look at him. Instead, she pretended nothing was out of the ordinary and ate her breakfast peacefully, laughing in all the appropriate places and adding her two cents when needed. She wasn't doing this to avoid him, she was doing this to prove a point. She was, however, aware that she could only keep this up for so long. Sooner or later, Edmund would take matters into his own hands and probably pay her back. She just hoped by then she would be prepared!

After breakfast, Natalie had no chance to 'avoid' Edmund this time. She jumped when she heard him right behind her, his voice basically right by her ear. Spinning around, she almost knocked into him again but was this time able to catch herself on time. She blushed as he spoke. "Since the weather is still kind of difficult, I decided that today we will train in the barracks, is that okay with you?" He lifted a brow, challenging her.

"Sounds good to me," Natalie smiled, kicking herself for reacting the way she did. 'I need to be stronger!'

"Good... Lucy, you and Caspian go practice with your bows or play chess or something, okay? I want Natalie to concentrate on her training today..." The Just King said, placing a hand on Natalie's shoulder and directing her toward the door.