Chapter 6

When Natalie and Lucy entered the dining hall, the boys looked up and smiled. "Good to see you again, Natalie," Caspian said as he and Edmund stood.

"Thanks," Natalie replied.

"How were your lessons with Professor Marcus?" The older of the group asked.

"They were great, thank you," she said. As they sat to eat, Natalie remained quiet, simply observing them. The three walked and laughed with each other in such a care-free manner. She remembered what Marcus had told her about them, how the three of them fought in a revolution to free Narnia from Miraz. Edmund and Lucy had been in many more battles, but how old where they then? The Professor had told her they ruled over Narnia for more than a decade, but that would mean, like her own situation, time-travel would be involved. She had to think of how amazing their adventures must have been, even as she was aware that battles and politics where not exactly thrilling. She still wished she could somehow become part of something meaningful as well.

"So what did Professor Marcus teach you?" Edmund asked after a bit.

Natalie looked up at him. "I leaned a lot about Narnian history," she replied.

"Anything interesting?" Lucy questioned with a knowing smile.

"Everything, like I said before, I love learning new things and I had a lot to learn about this place. I have a lot of questions about this place and you guys. If you don't mind, I'd like to know more about you some time?" Natalie answered slowly. She didn't want to push them for their past, but she was very curious.

Edmund was the one to answer. "We'll tell you all about our history at another time," he nodded. Natalie didn't want to push him, if they didn't want to talk about it now, it was their prerogative. She had to wonder why they seemed to reluctant to talk about their past though. She understood of course, she too had a lot kept to herself about her past and besides, she was sure some things they had to go through were not exactly pleasant.

After dinner, Natalie felt a yawn coming up but kept it down and declared she would again turn in early. As before, Edmund jumped to the chance to walk her out. As they left the dining hall, Lucy watched them, noticing how Edmund would walk very close to her and smile as often as he could. 'Curious...' Lucy thought, then turned to her old friend. "What do you think, Caspian?" Lucy muttered.

"About?" Caspian questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"How do you suppose Natalie feels about us?"

"Not sure, she's pretty quiet but she doesn't seem to be too troubled," Caspian smiled and nodded to the servants that began clearing the table.

"I think Edmund might like Natalie..," she said.

"Like? Well of course he does, we all like... oh. Well. Yes, perhaps. I see no reason why he shouldn't. She's attractive and kind and has something unique about her," Caspian observed, scratching his beard in thought.

"What do you suppose that is?" Lucy asked.

"She seems to observe a lot, question everything, and, yes that's it, she hasn't once tried to flirt with us!" Caspian snapped his fingers.

"Why should that be so note-worthy?"

"I can't remember how it was before I became King for Peter and Edmund, but I remember having women try to get closer to me quite often. I'm sure it was the same with Edmund in the Golden Age, was it not?" Caspian questioned.

"You're right, it happened like that for him too. I suppose it is different that Natalie isn't trying to flirt with either of you. But what strikes me as odd is Ed's behavior. Edmund had never really paid much attention to women, not even the ones that tried to flirt with him when we were adults. He always found those women annoying and never tried dating when we returned home," Lucy explained.