Chapter 5

Natalie woke up on her own the next morning. She knew it was morning now because Caspian had kindly had a small clock placed on the small table beside her bed. It didn't have an alarm on it, of course, but at least it let her know the time. She decided to put her own watch away, leave it in the drawer her table. Watches like that could attract too much unwanted attention. As she readied herself that morning, she made sure to choose something more modest to wear than what she had woren yesterday. She found a simple yet comfortable looking dress that went well with her own boots. As she finished washing up, a now familiar knock told her that Lucy was there. Natalie went over and opened her door.

"Good morning, Natalie!" Lucy smiled. Natalie nodded to her and Edmund who stood behind her some, leaning against a wall. He nodded back with a smile. "Oh, that's much better," Natalie's attention went back to the younger girl.

"The dress? Yeah, I figured it might be a bit more... appropriate?" Natalie ventured.

"It is, come on, let's go get some breakfast," Lucy suggested. Natalie nodded and followed her out. "So, do you have any family back home?" Lucy asked curiously. When Natalie looked away and remained silent, she felt like a total jerk. Of course Aslan wouldn't bring her here if everything was perfect back at home! "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have-"

"No, no, it's okay. I don't have any family," Natalie admitted, staring straight ahead.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Lucy's eyes were wide. "I shouldn't have asked..."

"It's alright, really. You didn't know," Natalie shook her head.

"Maybe... you have a bigger purpose here? Maybe you'll find family here?" Edmund suggested. Natalie glanced over to him, trying hard not to smile. She found it surprising how difficult that was here, with these people. Or was it just with him? It had been the complete opposite back "home", finding it difficult to be social. It seemed this place brought the best out of her. Yet... she still wasn't sure about letting them get too close to her, so instead, she simply nodded, agreeing with him. "Say, Natalie, would you like to see Narnia after breakfast?" he asked her after a beat.

"Sure," Natalie nodded, tearing her gaze away from him and wondering what her problem was. Tour Narnia? Sounded good to her. That would certainly take her mind off of the dark memories that had started trying to poke their way out of their cages. It was only a few days ago that she was reminded of the death of her family in that fateful accident. A tour around Narnia sounded like just the thing she needed. During breakfast, Natalie wondered what Edmund meant when he said she might find family there. Did it mean that their friendships in this place often ended up being more of a family unit, or did it mean something else?

"So we were hoping we could take Natalie out and show her around Narnia a bit?" Lucy was saying.

"That sounds like a good idea," Caspian nodded. "I'll have a carriage prepared for you three."

"You're not coming?" Lucy asked.

"I'm afraid not. I have some business to attend to this morning, but I'll see you all later," Caspian explained.

After breakfast, the carriage was ready and Edmund, Lucy and Natalie boarded it. It took them a while to leave the area around castle Caspian. All there was to see there really were massive rock formations and rocky shores. It had it's charms as well, but Edmund and Lucy wanted to show Natalie the truly beautiful areas of Narnia. "This is pretty neat," Natalie mentioned. The carriage bumped around the dusty road, the windows open to the beautiful rolling hills and far off mountains with snowy caps. Oh how she would just like to hike up one of those mountains and play in the snow! Shaking her head out of her uncharacteristic fantasy, she turned to Edmund as he spoke.