(Book 2) Chapter 8

She grinned as she looked down at him. She ran her fingers through his tousled hair,”Hey, open your eyes.” She whispered. She slowly opened his eyes and looked up at her,” Why?” He whispered. She smiled,” Because I like looking at your eyes. As much as you look attractive in green, hazel will always be your colour.” She spoke.

He smiled lightly and caressed her cheek again. He suddenly frowned,” Cass….I’m scared.” He admitted. She cocked her head,” Why?” She asked. “I’m afraid that whatever you did, didn’t work. That I’ll get that feeling again and loose control. That I’ll hurt you again.” He replied. She could spot his eyes glazing over.

She sighed and leaned down, softly kissing his cheek,” What can you remember?” She asked. “Everything.” He replied. She furrowed her eyebrows-Great, now he won’t give it a rest about how guilty he feels about everything.”Cass, I-“He started but she cut him off when she shook her head,” Don’t mention it. It’s behind us.” She spoke.

She heard a shuffle and looked up to see Chaz coming forward. She realized Cody must have been driving the bus as she saw Lexi and Alize sneaking a peak behind at them from their chairs. “Can I help you?” Cassie spoke up as she stood up and crossed her arms over her chest. Chaz sighed and looked down at Justin who slowly sat up and looked up at him.

Chaz, he looked so lost. She almost felt sorry. Then, he reached behind his back and brought up a gun, pointing it at Justin without hesitation. “You killed them all.” He hissed. Justin sighed and shook his head while he looked down. He slowly stood up, limping slightly as he stood before Chaz. “Put it away, Chaz. It wasn’t his fault.” Cassie spoke up and leaned on one of the seats.

“It was. He could stop when he wanted to. But he didn’t. Not even for Ryan.” Chaz spat back. Justin gave Cassie a look before turning back to Chaz. “10 years of friendship. And you killed him.” Chaz spat. Justin sighed, this time the annoyance coming through his voice,” Stop it, Chaz. That’s enough.” He murmured. Chaz chuckled sarcastically,” You couldn’t stop yourself from killing him. Your best friend. Yet you could stop for some bitch you met a few months ago that has you wrapped around her finger.” “Hey!” Cassie warned as she stood up straight.

But Justin didn’t have it. Even in the small space he managed to kick the gun out of Chaz’s hand and grab his shirt, standing face to face. “You need to take a hard look at yourself, man. People die. That’s it. You think I wanted that?! Ryan was my friend too. You think I don’t feel bad seeing what I’ve done?! I can feel the guilt eating me up from the inside. At least I’m not as pathetic as you- trying to replace Ryan with somebody else.” Justin replied, his voice low and dangerous.

He pushed Chaz off and sat down, holding his head in his hands. “Fuck off. I’ve got a headache.” He mumbled. Cassie furrowed her eyebrows and watched as Chaz nodded slightly and retreated.

Cassie sat down on the seats in front of Justin and sighed. “Where are we going?” He whispered. She shrugged lightly,” Forward.” He looked up and looked around the bus. “Let’s get out of here.” He spoke and stood up. She furrowed her eyebrows,” What?” “What? You’re not badass enough?” He smirked. She narrowed her eyes at him,” Am so.” She replied and stood up, standing in front of him- her body pressed up against his in the narrow space.

He looked down at her and ran his fingers down her cheek, grabbing her chin lightly and turning her head up as he leaned down and connected their lips shortly. She smiled and put her hands on his shoulders as they slowly pulled away. “Let’s go.” He whispered. She nodded and started leading to the front. “Cody. Stop the bus.” She spoke blankly. He looked at her for a second.” No.”

“We’re getting off. You either stop the bus or we break a window. We’re camping here.” She spoke. “Where is here?” Chaz spoke out from behind her. Cody looked up,”Glenallen. StillAlaska.” He replied to Chaz. Cody sighed and stopped the bus, looking around at the fields of grass. “We’re on a land of a preserve and wildness. So watch out. You might find a lake a little north of here. Let’s set up the tents.”