(Book 2) Chapter 7

"You didn't think this through, did you?" Cody spoke up as they stared at Justin's unconscious body lying before them. "Nope. Give me a break; I had to form a plan quickly." She replied and shrugged lightly. "Cass! Cody! I see people!" Lexi exclaimed and pointed.  They both looked up and it wasn't even a second 'till Cody set off running for them.

She shook her head lightly at how he jumped on Chaz. Alize came over and nudged her lightly. Cassie smiled," They're cute together." She stated. Alize rolled her eyes lightly," Don't even get me started. Chaz talked about him all the way there and back." She replied and looked down at Justin. "Erm...Is he supposed to be laying here unconscious?" She questioned. Cassie replied with a simple 'Yup.'

"Just 'cause you're a hater, Alize." Chaz stuck his tongue out as they came over. He stopped his actions and looked around," Are you the only ones alive?" He choked out. Cassie shrugged," I didn't exactly look around." She stated. Chaz nodded at Cody slightly and set off running around the ruined camp," Ryan! Butsy!"

"Is that Josh?" Alize whispered as she looked forward. Cassie nodded slightly. "Let's get out of here." Cassie stated blankly as she looked around at her friends who were all near crying. She did nothing. Kept a blank face. "Show some feelings, Cass. They were your friends too." Cody hissed. Cassie turned around to him and shoved him harshly," You think I don't want to?! I wish I could! But I can't! I feel nothing and I hate it! Besides, I don't see people as friends. More like partners." She replied.

He scoffed," Thanks for telling me that." He mumbled before walking off. "Fine. Be a fucking drama queen." She mumbled under her breath. She looked up at Alize,"Help me carry him in?" She asked. Alize gave her a weak smile and nodded as they managed to pick up Justin's body. "Damn, the bitch gained a few pounds." Cassie mumbled as they plopped him down on the back seats of the bus.

Cassie gave Alize a slight smile and walked to the front of the bus, seeing Chaz, Cody and Lexi gathered in a place above someone's body. Cassie frowned and sat in the drivers' seat, turning the engine on. "It's kind of sad, you know. Ryan was a good guy." Alize spoke up next to her. Cassie could notice the slight blush spreading over her cheeks and she was about to ask why, but quickly came to a conclusion. Cassie scoffed," A lot of people were good. More good then him. And they died. There is no point in mourning over." She replied.

Alize nodded awkwardly and took a seat near the front. Cody walked into the bus and gave her a glare. "Stare all you want." She hissed. "Ryan was your friend. How can you act like this?" He spoke. She shrugged and turned the other way," I care so little I almost passed out." She whispered. Cody shook his head and took a seat behind Alize.

Chaz awkwardly shuffled into the bus while Lexi skipped in next to him. "Let me drive. You should go and make sure he doesn't kill us all when he wakes up." He spoke as he sent a glance to Justin lying in the back.

She nodded slightly as they exchanged seats and she started walking to the back. She sat down on the floor with her back to the wall as her head was levelled with Justin's. She felt the bus start up as it started moving.

She looked down and flipped the knife a few times in her hand. She thought about Doctor Wexler's words. She was his experiment. And she won. She won over Nemesis. Not really won as cheated. But that changed things.

This gave Wexler and Harry the information they needed. She was the successful experiment, and now she has become their lab rat. If they caught her, she wouldn't be left alone. Because she was the first out of many. The first, most powerful weapon they would have. With an army of experiments like her- who didn't feel guilt, regret, nothing- they could take over the world.

That is, if they could cure it first.

And something was telling Cassie they could. They were just waiting for the perfect moment when they were ready. They easily cured a tougher mutation- curing the t-virus would be a piece of cake.

She sighed and leaned her head to the side, leaning it on the seat in front. She replayed everything that happened and how she was fighting with almost the whole group. She even annoyed one of her best friends. Friends. She chuckled to herself lightly. She couldn't have friends. Everybody who she dared to call a friend, died.

Partners. Partners in crime. That's what she preferred calling them. Although that brought back memories of her and Harry, and she hated those.

She closed her eyes and sighed. She wished none of this was true. That it would al be just a dream when she opened her eyes.

That she wasn't an altered experiment to kill.

That she wasn't in love with the guy she was supposed to kill.

That the whole world wasn't overrun by living corpses.

That her friends and family weren't all dead.

That she wasn't set out to just survive the mayhem.

That she would actually have a goal in life.

That she could grow and build a future for herself.

That she was feeling.

And that's what scared her. She didn't care about the whole camp dying. Jeff, Josh, Tara, even Ryan.....but out of all of this. She cared about Justin. No, that's not enough. She loved Justin. She could feel her feelings for him. And she had completely no idea why.

Her head snapped up as she heard movement. She sat up as Justin stirred. He opened his eyes slightly and looked up at her," Cass..." He whispered and reached out, running his fingers along her cheek. She smiled lightly as he did. She could feel the butterflies in her stomach and the tingles as his skin came in contact with hers.

She looked down and furrowed her eyebrows," How do you feel?" She whispered He scowled and closed his eyes while he groaned lightly," Like I've been kicked in the balls." He murmured. She had to stop the giggle escaping her mouth as she grinned," My bad."