Raise The Curtains - A Mentalist fanfiction (Patrick Jane)

Fi-na-LY.

I am updating finally.

I won't make you wait much longer, so just a quick note; although this is leading towards it, this is not the last chapter :DD!! Also, tell me in the comments whether or not, once the killer is found, you would like me to continue this story with another plotline, because I do have one in mind n.n

MUCH LOVES

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHARLOTTE'S P.O.V

The door of Jane's apartment slammed shut and I was on my feet in an instant, off the couch and popping the last button of my jacket into place. Jane came down the hall slowly and immediately sent me a reassuring smile when he got sight of my quivering hands, raising an arm and signaling that I should come to him.

"Remind me why I need to be there at all," I requested quietly as Jane slung a protective arm over my shoulders and pulled me close, and I shuddered, burrowing into his side and ignoring my initial reaction to be embarrassed.

"Danny's killer is smart. Not that smart, obviously, but she damn well nearly sent you to jail." Jane squeezed me gently. "You are going to walk in your front door naturally, like everything is normal, and Lisbon and the gang will be waiting for you. She'll be watching from afar to make sure it's not a ruse, and I'm betting she'll wait until nightfall to break into the house and come for you. Then," he shrugged simply, drawing his fingers slowly through a lock of my hair, "We'll get her."

XXXXX

Natural, Charlotte, natural, I told myself sternly as Jane rounded the corner that led us onto my street, and I fought to still the shaking of my hands. Everything was fine. Jane had a plan, so everything was fine.

"To the killer, if she's currently watching, I will either look like a friend or a friendly officer, both of which are good covers, dropping you home," Jane explained as we drew near my house. "I will then drive around for half an hour before stopping at a bar, in case an accomplice decides to tail me as a precaution. I'm certain that she's working alone but Lisbon made me promise to play it safe this time."

I frowned at the words 'this time', unsettled at the thought of Jane in danger despite the fact that that was what his job entitled, and shifted in my seat.

My home was only a few houses away, and Jane's murmuring began to sound urgent.

"After it is evident I am not being followed, I will use a hired car to make my way back, using, or course, back roads and ally-ways. I'll sneak in through the back door once it has been deemed safe; Lisbon will be in touch with me."

He slowed the car to a stop in front of my house and leaned over to open my door for me, unbuckling my belt while he was at it. I turned to face him, refusing to get out of the car until absolutely necessary, and Jane smiled in a way that let me know he knew exactly what I was doing. I appraised his golden looks in silent awe as his fingertips touched my chin ever so gently, tilting my face up slightly, and his smile turned wistful.

"You need to go now," Jane murmured softly, and I sighed at the scent of fresh tea, "Before this begins to look suspicious. I'll see you in three hours, at the very most. And Charlotte?" I raised an eyebrow, one hand on the door handle and hesitant to leave. "Please stop looking so worried, this is a good plan. It'll be fine, I promise."

I nodded and collected my things, holding them in one hand as I opened the door with the other and stepped outside just a tad unhappily. I turned back at the last moment.