A Slight Interlude - A Mentalist fanfiction (Patrick Jane)

JANE'S P.O.V

This wasn't going to plan.

Or it was going exactly to plan.

I couldn't decide how I wanted it.

I tried to think of something witty or amusing or sincere to say, as all of these things seemed to pull an 100watt grin from Charlotte, but instead just found myself staring at the glittering depths of her eyes. She gasped.

"Jesus Jane! Watch the road!" I snapped my attention back to the front, a smile creeping up on me.

"Does my driving scare you?" I chuckled and Charlotte stared at me incredulously, eyebrows raised.

"How could this not scare anyone?" she grumbled and my grin merely grew.

Charlotte was silent for a moment and I noted the way she began twisting her fingers together and occasionally chewing on her bottom lip. She was thinking about something stressful. A light blush dotted her skin as she glanced down, and I re-evaluted.

Emabarrassing, then.

What could have been embarrassing her at the moment?

Thinking back momentarily, I associated the way she was acting with her behaviour before she had asked about the teams suspicions regarding her break out... Ah. Living arrangements. I see.

"By 'my house'," I said suddenly and Charlotte jumped, looking up at me. I clenched my jaw softly at her star struck expression and continued, "I mean an apartment I've been renting out and only occasionally using the the last few years." 

She nodded, blush growing deeper, and I grinned.

"There's only one bed," I delcared and she practically leapt out of her skin, eyes growing huge as her cheeks flushing a crimson red. "So it being the gentlemanly thing to do, I'll sleep on the couch."

"Don't be stupid Jane," Charlotte sighed, sounding much calmer than she looked. "It's your house. I'll take the couch, you use your bed." 

I shook my head before she was even done talking.

"And what kind of host would I be then? No Charlotte, I insist you use the bed-"

"And I insist you use the bed-"

"Well what if I don't want the bed?" I snapped playfully. Charlottle grinned.

"Then too bad, because I'm using the couch." I opened my mouth to protest. "And there's nothing you can do about it," she pressed, cutting me off.

Charlotte then proceeded to poke her tongue out at me childishly and I laughed, my eyes flicking to her and then back to the road.

"Fine." Charlotte had snuggled into the leather happily, embracing it as we rounded corners, and I was pleased that she seemed to like my car as much as I did.

"Oh," I murmured, gesturing to the back seat, "I stopped by your house and gathered some fresh clothes and toiletries. I hope you don't mind." Charlotte seemed speechless for a moment before nodding and muttering a 'thank you Jane' back.

"What did you get?" she asked after another short interlude, and I thought back to what I had grabbed. Things that had looked well-worn and loved, so she was comfortable.

"Your favorite pairs of jeans, a few t-shirts and a singlet, a red jacket and your favorite pyjamma's." Charlotte looked horrified at that last part, whereas most people started questioning how I knew what their favorite pieces of clothing were, and I thought back to the black silk shorts and grey singlet that starred a big Hello Kitty face. 

I had thought they were quite cute at the time.

I watched Charlotte think through her options of reply's, amused at how often she did this, and resisted the urge to reach over and tangle her finger's with mine rather than her own, over and over in the nervous way of hers.

"Is this going to take awhile then, Jane?" she asked, and at first I was at loss to what she meant. Charlotte always managed to say the things I expected last. "Proving my innocence?"

I nodded in understanding and tapped a finger against the steering wheel as I thought. Charlotte like the facts, not someone painting a pretty picture for her.

It was such an odd notion for someone with an extreme anxiety disorder.

I sighed.

"Perhaps. There is a substantial amount of evidence against you, I'm afriad..." Charlotte was quiet for a moment and I longed to comfort her, fingers itching to stroke her skin lightly and run softly through her hair.

I pulled into a vacant parking spot and killed the engine, turning to watch Charlotte as she fretted, a small crease appearing on her forehead. I smoothed it over with one finger, unable to help myself and she sighed, delicate eyes watching my face as they so often did.

"Shall we go inside then?" she suggested and I smiled, opening my door.

"We shall."

Drama coming soon, I promise!!!! I apologize if its getting boring DX but stick with me. I think we'll be hearing from Lisbon's P.O.V soon, and possibly Rigsby's n.n

COMMENT, VOTE AND FAV, YOU KNOW THE DRILL. LOVESSSSS <3!!!!