Plans Take Time - A Mentalist fanfiction (Patrick Jane)

CHARLOTTE'S P.O.V

(next day, 11:45am)

"Why the interest in me Mr. Jane?"

I watched his eyes carefully as he contemplated his answer, enthralled as they swam green in the soft interrogation-room light. He seemed to switch between humorous and serious a few times before settling for the latter.

"Please, no 'Mr'. And because I know you're innocent, Charlotte, and I refuse to see you punished for something you didn't do." He smiled simply and shrugged, leaning back in the metal chair he had dragged up next to mine. He crossed one leg over the other and I allowed myself a moment to appreciate the finely tuned muscles I saw flexing under the tight suit.

"Surely though," I murmured, still slightly distracted, "That can be best done by being out and researching and all that jazz?" Jane laughed loudly and grinned in delight, and the effect was stunning.

I lost my breath suddenly, taking in his caramel-blond curls and glowing emerald green eyes, resting atop the golden V I could see of his chest beneath his 3 piece suit. Stunning.

"Yes," he agreed, still chuckling, and his smooth voice ran circles around my head, "That would probably be the best way to gather evidence. However," he raised one finger, "I already discovered and fed our friend Lisbon a clue that she will bite down hard on soon, and follow up with a vengeance. Until then... I'm afraid you'll have to go into hiding."

This piece of news shocked me right out of my daze and I sat straight abruptly, shaking my head.

"Wait, what?" I searched his face for any sign of humor and, besides a glimmer of it at my reaction, found none. "You can't be serious Mr. Jane-"

"Just Jane," he inserted wryly and I ignored him.

"Why would I hide? Where in the hell would I go? And how?" I threw my hands up and gestured around. "In case you hadn't noticed, I'm under lock-down in this place, it's crawling with agents, you know that! They're already set on me being guilty and if I run away now that's practically confirming it with a flashing neon sign-"

"Charlotte hush." I fell quiet at Jane's abrupt order and stared, suddenly feeling like a child that had thrown a fit over a toy.

"As you adeptly pointed out," he murmured, sliding up from his chair and around behind me, "My colleagues are rather partial to the idea of locking you up. That musn't happen, and I'm not going to allow it. Therefore," his fingers touched my shoulders softly, brushing through my baby blue hair and setting to work at the knots that had formed in it, "You need a reclusive area to stay at while I," Jane lent down and shot me a brilliant smile, "Lead them to the true killer. Then, and only then, will you reemerge, safe from the slammer and all that jazz." 

He chuckled as he quoted me, long fingers gliding up the nape of my neck in small but firm strokes. I shivered, but forced my mind back to the matter at hand.

"Hm. Not be offensive Mr Jane-"

"Jane. Or Patrick, if you like."

"Jane,' I pressed on, "But how exactly am I going to get out of here? And where will I stay? I can't go home, obviously..."

"Obviously," he agreed in a playful tone and I looked up, resting my head in his hands, to see him smiling lightly. I raised an eyebrow at the rest of my questions and he rolled his eyes.

"Meh, details." His nose wrinkled, adorably, and he shook his head. "Don't worry about them."

I made an indignant noise instantly and turned in my seat, gripping the cool back with one hand.