Now What Have We Got Here? - A Mentalist fanfiction (Patrick Jane)

LISBON'S P.O.V

I spun around in a full circle for the fifth time, craning my neck as I looked for Jane, trying to push back the headache that the pounding music brought on before sinking down from my tippy toes and pulling out my phone.

“Hey boss,” Van Pelt answered immediately, and I sighed as I thought through my list of questions for her.

“How did the dealer hunt go?” I asked first, having to yell over the bass.

“Interesting. We've got a coke dealer in custody – Rigsby and Cho are talking to him now – who tried to run. He was about to get busted for dealing and that would have been the last strike and put him in jail, only he managed to avoid it somehow. We figured someone he was dealing to opened their mouth to the wrong person, and he'd want payback for that.” I pinched the bridge of my nose and thought about that.

“Are we figuring that person is Danny?” I shouted, covering my other ear to try and hear better.

“Yeah. It's a long shot but worth a try, right boss?” I made an approving noise and heard Van Pelt sigh.

“Trouble is,” she continued, “Cho's Confidential Informant says that she definitely knew of one Norwell buying drugs, just not the one we were expecting.” This new information was surprising.

“Charlotte?” I muttered, shocked, and Van Pelt asked me to speak up. “That can't be right,” I said, louder this time, and Van Pelt 'mhmm'ed.

I thought for a moment.

“Have we got anything on her yet?” I asked eventually.

“Charlotte?” Van Pelt clarified, “Nope. It looks like she doesn't have a phone for us to track and her house was empty. We didn't do a thorough search of the place though, haven't had the time.” I nodded in understanding, even though she couldn't see me.

“Go take over Cho,” I ordered, “And tell him to get back up and conduct a search of her house, see if she's been there recently or left clues as to where she's gone. He hasn't been out of the office for awhile.”

“Okay boss.” I smiled at her loyalty, knowing that she was making and going to be a very fine agent.

“Well, thank you Van Pelt, I'll call you if I need anything else.” I hung up and bit my lip, thinking about this strange and concerning turn in the case.

Was Charlotte a lot more dangerous and deceiving than I had originally thought?

And worse yet, had she fooled Jane?

Someone tapped on my shoulder and I grabbed their hand and spun around instantly, pushing their wrist into a painful situation as I took a defensive position.

Ow, Lisbon,” Jane complained moodily, snatching his hand away and rubbing it back into life when I let go.

“Sorry Jane,” I muttered, and he looked me over for a moment before smiling lightly.

“Don't be. You're on edge. Worried. Indecisive. You know what I think?” I raised an eyebrow. “You need a good, long, stress free break.”

“So a few days away from you, then,” I clarified, and he laughed.

“No, a few days away from everyone. Mainly, the attention snatching monkey on your back named work,” he chuckled, patting his own 'monkey-free' back as an example. I glared.

“Right. That'd be just what you want, me out of the office while we try to hunt down your girlfriend who has just 'escaped'-”

“A friend,” he corrected, and I rolled my eyes. “And I detect a note of anger in the way you said that, even though I distinctly remember you also saying that you believe me to be innocent of helping Charlotte.” A shocked expression crossed his face. “Did you lie Lisbon?”

Despite his patronizing he still managed to pull a small smile from me and I laughed, unable to help myself.

“No, Jane, I do believe you. So put down your psychic little hackles.” Jane laughed freely at that as he placed one hand under my elbow and steered me toward the exit. I looked around.

“Oh are we done here then?” I asked cheerily, false approval dripping from my voice, and Jane 'tsk'ed as he opened the door for me.

“Sarcasm still doesn't suit you Lisbon, you're more the type to openly express your anger at something.” He caught my glare and added, “Or someone.”

I sighed huffily as Jane moved forward to the sidewalk and stretched, obviously grateful to be away from the obnoxiously loud music. I tried not to be any type in Jane's books.

“So what did you find out then?” I questioned, knowing that he had something hidden away.

“Someone was pretending to be Charlotte inside that bar the night of the murder,” he stated simply, and I stared at him skeptically.

“Oh yes?”

“Yes indeed, Lisbon. The question's now are who, and why.”

Jane climbed into the passenger seat of the car before I could say anything, and I irritably walked around to my side and got in.

“And how is it that you know that?” I asked as I started up the engine.

“The barman identified her. But the way he described her actions was off, as was the shade of her hair. And he definitely got her eyes wrong...” Jane seemed to be murmuring more to himself than me now, and I gave him a worried look.

“Jane...” He raised his eyebrows at me. “You're beginning to give me the impression you're too close to this case.” He continued to stare at me, a pleasant smile on his lips. “And if I think that, then I'm obliged to tell our boss and there is no doubt he'll take you off the case.”

Jane kept my gaze steadily.

“Charlotte was framed Lisbon. There's nothing more too it,” he said simply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, so I'm really sorry for how short this is. My mind decided that a huge dose of major writers block would be a brilliant idea. How rude.

Anyway, I hope for another chapter to come to me soon, and I shall try my hardest to write soon too.

Any theories on the killer o:???

VOTE AND COMMENT AND FAN AND ALL THAT WONDERFUL JAZZ :DD