My best friends brother knows my secret!

Terra ran into her room locking the door behind her she went straight to her closet and cowered down. If there was one thing she was good at it was hiding. Her mother was banging on her door within minutes screaming at the top of her lungs.

“You think you can run from me you little bitch! Just wait as soon as you come out I will make you wish you had never been born little girl!” Her mother slurred through the last part as tears welled up in Terra’s eyes. Ever since her brother died and her dad ran off her mother had changed.

Three years ago she had the perfect family, a brother who played varsity football and father who had a well-paid job. Her mother would have never hit her intentionally. When her brother passed away his senior year everything had changed. Her father had run off with a woman ten years younger than him and her mother had resorted to drugs to ease her pain.

Terra sat in the closet with tears running down her face hoping someone would help her. Lately the beatings had been a lot worse and she knew that her eye was sporting a new deep blue shiner that would prevent her from leaving the house for a while. She could not let everyone at school know what happened to her or they would take her from her mother. Terra was all her mother had left.

Taking a deep breath she stood from the closet and threw a hoddie on climbing out the window and taking off to her best friend’s house. As she walked up the front steps she went to ring the doorbell when Amie walked out the door and grabbed her into a big hug.

“What the hell happened? I saw that black eye a mile away.” Amie grabbed her friend and pulled her into the house and up the stairs to her bedroom where they laid on the bed and flipped through magazines.

Amie was a blonde haired blue eyes beauty and she knew it. Her body was to die for and she had legs for days. Compared to Terra who had dark black Raven hair and bright green eyes they were complete opposites.

“Did you get into another fight?” Amie asked concerned. Terra decided it was best to keep everything a secret and told Terra that she was into boxing, which was partially true. When everything started happening Terra was in fact in training to start boxing she just never followed through due to circumstances.

“Yeah you should see the other girl.” Terra laughed trying to change the story.

“Ha! Well guess who I ran into today at the mall?” Amie asked almost jumping up and down with excitement. Terra shrugged.

“Jeremy! My brother’s friend! We hung out for about an hour and he asked me to go to homecoming with him!” Amie squealed and Terra rolled her eyes. Amie had a new guy every week and lately she had been burning through the football team. Her brother Josh who was captain of the football team had given up on trying to stop her.

Speak of the devil Josh walked into the bedroom and plopped down onto the bed all sweaty from what looked like a long run.

“Hey ladies. How are my two favorite girls?” Terra shoved him off and rolled her eyes. When she was about thirteen years old she had a huge crush on Josh but soon got over it when she heard Amie taking about the last girl who had dated josh. Terra was sixteen now and Josh was eighteen and about to graduate.

“Ewww! Nasty! GET OFF OF MY BED!” Amie screeched. Josh jumped up and covered his ears before running out the door.

“I don’t think he will be back soon.” Terra stated before the girls fell into a state of giggles.

Terra lay in bed with Amie snoring gloriously besides her trying to figure out what she was going to do at school tomorrow. What would she tell people? Deciding to just roll with the punches, quite literally,  she drifted off to sleep in the early hours of the morning.

***       

“I don’t know why you do not want to go to the dance.” Amie said for the hundredth time that lunch period.

“Because I don’t!  Drop it please and give me your fries.” Amie growled and handed them over.

All day long Amie had been trying to hook her up with different guys so she would have a date and Terra was getting really tired of it.

“Oooo Terra are you coming to Bryan’s party tonight? It is supposed to be the biggest one of the year!” Amie squealed tapping Terra on the arm over and over again.

“Do I have to?” She moaned looking at her best friend who was bobbing her head excitedly. Finally Terra caved giving her friend a nod before headed off to her next class.

The day seemed to drag by and as the final bell rang Terra hurried off to her locker and went to the front doors to wait for Josh and Amie to her surprise Amie, who always beat her, was nowhere to be found only Josh who looked rather impatient.

“Finally! Terra is riding with Jeremy I was told to drop you home and stay with you so you do not run off before the party.” Terra scowled darkly.

“Do you always do what your LITTLE sister tells you to?” Josh laughed and shook his head.

“Only when she has dirt on me.” Terra couldn’t help but laugh as she got into his car.

Luckily her mother wouldn’t be home today she worked on Fridays as a waitress part-time. When they pulled up to the house they headed straight to her room and Terra went to her closet trying to find something decent to wear as Josh sat on her bed and played on his phone.

About ten minutes later Terra heard the front door slam and her mother come running up the stairs. She opened to door and looked at Josh on the bed and her face turned a deep shade of red.

“What the hell do you think you are doing bringing people into my home when I am not here! You ungrateful bitch!” Her mother yelled and advanced towards her. Terra was too shocked to speak. Josh’s eyes grew wide but before her mother could touch her Josh grabbed Terra and pulled her out the door to his car.

The only thing Terra could think about was what Josh would do now that he knew her secret. She stayed silent and waited for him to speak.