[14] The Second Task.

EDITED

February 17, 2014

If you find any grammatical/spelling errors, please politely let me know. I am not a professional, nor do I claim to be an experienced author. I do make mistakes that I am trying to clean up. Thank you, enjoy.

   ...

[Chapter 14: The second task.]

The past few days had been an absolute blur. Anytime I spent without Cedric, I was with the Weasley twins. I rarely hung around Harry, Ron, or Hermione anymore, and they didn't seem to care. It kind of hurt me more than I thought it would, and I longed for their companionship again.

     Cedric had once again managed to make me late for my class by distracting me with the undeniable Diggory charm. This had become somewhat of a habit, but he always flirted his way into getting me a late pass. The female teachers at Hogwarts rarely recieved flattery, so Cedric was a certain God-sent to them.

     "Your such an idiot!" I giggled, shoving Cedric playfully as we wandered the empty halls.

     "That's the thanks I get?" He teased."I see how appreciated I am. I need a proper thank you."

     I looked up at him, a small smile gracing my face before I slinked my arms around his neck and pulled him down to my level, meeting him in a half way kiss. I could feel him smile against my lips, and as I went to pull away I could hear a small noise of disapproval, and he pulled me back again, this time seeking a deeper kiss. He made me feel dizzy. I take pride in being at least slightly intelligent, but when Cedric kissed me, I was just a stupid girl, barely able to remember her own name.

     After being engulfed by the giddy feeling, I pulled away, giggling like an airhead, "How's that for proper 'Thank Yous'? Now, I need to go before I'm any later!"

     "Okay, fine," He grumbled, hugging me, and then sending me off towards Professor Flitwick.

     Walking down the empty hall, the Professor's door finally came into view. Opening it, I smiled in a cross between nerves and apologies. Flitwick gave me a short (no pun intended) look of dissaproval, and grabbed the late pass from my hand. I scanned the classroom and saw Hermione, Ron, and Harry, all sitting together at a table. I took a deep breath and mustered up my courage; this could be my opportunity to start gaining back their friendship. I didn't want to lose them.

     I sat at the small table with the trio, and vaguely heard Harry hiss, "Just forget the egg for a minute, all right?"

     I set my books down next to Ron and slightly diagonal from Harry and Hermione, and couldn't help but smile a bit at the conversation. Hermione was no doubt still on his arse about his recent laziness, and Harry didn't want to hear it.

     As I sat down, they gave me a look that clearly said, 'Why are you even here?'

     I felt the small sting of a less than friendly welcome, but tried to ignore the gnawing feeling.

     We were supposed to be practicing the opposite of the Summoning Charm today-- the Banishing Charm, owing to the potential for nasty accidents when objects kept flying across the room. Professor Flitwick had given each student a stack of cushions on which to practice, the theory being that these wouldn't hurt anyone if they went off target. It was a good theory, but it wasn't working very well. Neville's aim was so poor that he kept accidentally sending much heavier things flying across the room-- Professor Flitwick, for instance.

    "Snape said Moody's searched his office as well?" Ron whispered, his eyes alight with interest as he Banished a cushion with a sweep of his wand (it soared into the air and knocked Parvati's hat off... the ugly thing.). "What... d'you reckon Moody's here to keep an eye on Snape as well as Karkaroff?"