[2] Schoolastic Disasters & Mad-Eye Moody

EDITED

January 2, 2014

If you find any grammatical/spelling errors, please politely let me know. I am not a professional, nor do I claim to be an experienced author. I do make mistakes that I am trying to clean up.

   ...

[Chapter Two: Schoolastic Disasters & Mad-Eye Moody]

The storm was nearly gone by the following morning, though the ceiling in the Great Hall that was enchanted to match the weather was still gloomy, as heavy and dark clouds swirled about the ceiling.

     I sat with Harry, Ron, and Hermione as we all reviewed our schedules. Of course, we were for the most part thrilled that our classes were together. In my short time with them, I could already feel they were going to be some of the closest friends I'd ever made. Being a very amiable person, I made friends pretty easily, but the 'Golden Trio,' as I liked to call them, were definitely people I could see myself being friends with for a very long time. Fred and George were fantastic too, always offering up smiles, but since they were a year above me, I hadn't had as much time with them. 

      The twins had unknowingly given me a few brilliant ideas for candies and treats that, with the right potion ingredients, became scarily genius gags to use against your friends. The girls I shared a dormitory with--particularly Lavender and Parvati--were always fussing over how pretty my hair was, and constantly asking why I had no romantic prospects. Truth be told, I didn't think about relationships often. I never had time to think about men or women I genuinely liked, it was only an occasional, passing "whoa, that person is cute." Neville was a real treat to be around; the things he said were almost always surprisingly insightful, and he had one the biggest hearts I'd ever come to know. Despite only a few real conversations with him, I liked to think of him as a friend. Seamus Finnegan and I had bantered in the common room once, and I could see a friendship forming there, but that had been the extent of our interaction thus far.

     I shook my head out of deep thought on social connections and looked back down at my schedule. Hermione, on my right, as well as Ron and Harry, who were in front of us, were looking down at their schedules as well. Fred sat on my left, with George at his left, and Lee Jordan was in front of them. They didn't seem concerned with their schedules, but were rather discussing magical methods of mayhem to age themselves and bluff their way into the tournament. I still didn't condone the idea.

     "Today isn't all bad!" I said, breaking the silence. "We're outside all morning. Fresh air'll do us good."

     Ron ran a few fingers down the Monday column of his schedule, "Herbology with the Hufflepuffs and then Care of Magical Creatures... Dammit! We're still with the Slytherins..."

     Ron pouted, looking painfully disappointed.

     I hadn't developed any personal issues with the Slytherin house itself yet, but they didn't seem to have the best reputation. It was within my understanding that most of them came from Pure-Bloodlines, and therefore they walked around with some gross sense of entitlement. Since I didn't know my real parents, I didn't know what blood type I was either. Despite my mysterious lineage and curiosity about such a thing, I couldn't possibly bring myself to ever act like others of my kind were beneath me just because different blood ran through our veins. Regardless, we would all still bleed red.

     "Double Divination this afternoon!" Harry groaned, looking down.

     From his reaction, I could tell he wasn't too fond of the subject, but bloody hell, I was. Even though my minimal interaction with Trelawney was enough to realize the woman tap danced on my last nerve, I loved every subject that Hogwarts offered. Maybe growing up in the Muggle world and learning regular subjects in school for so long had polished my appreciation for magic, but I was a sponge when it came to classes.  I loved being able to soak up knowledge in every subject. My mind was a never ending cavern for the information available to me--even information that shouldn't have been made available to me. Come on, a library with a restricted section, and they seriously expect me not to traipse my way in there one day?