Dark Salvation: 01 *

A/N: Drake Sparks on the side!

*

Drake held Luna's hand as she laid in the hospital bed, a white woven blanket draped over her legs and torso. He couldn't help but stroke her flushed cheek as he listened to the steady beep of the heart through the heart monitor. There was a knock and a nurse silently padded in with a fresh IV needle and began preparing her arm for the fluids.

"Nurse...is she going to be alright?" Drake questioned hopefully.

The nurse peeled the tap from Luna's arm and removed the first IV. She looked up at Drake. "Yes." She went back to cleaning Luna's arm with an alcohol pad, the unpleasant stench stung Drake's nose. "Luna just fainted from minor shock. She'll wake within a few minutes with these fluids."

"Thank you, nurse."

She inserted the needle into Luna's arm and applied tape to hold the IV in. "I'll be back in a few moments to check up on Miss Storm's progress." Drake nodded and the lady left the room after checking Luna's vital signs and writing them down on a clipboard at the edge of her bed.

Luna's eyes flickered back and forth underneath her eyelids, Drake held her hand as she opened her eyes. She groaned when the bright light pierced her eyes. When her eyes adjusted to the light, she glanced side to side, her eyes stopping at Drake. A small smile spread across her face, but soon disappeared. Drake hoped she wouldn't go mute like she did when her mother and father sent her to see the jail when she was younger.

"Luna..." Drake whispered softly, kissing her hand and holding it tightly in his own. "How are you feeling, darling?"

Exhausted, she nodded and closed her eyes. What Drake feared was coming true...his best friend was going mute again...and he couldn't let that happen. She would lose her job at Starbucks. Lose touch with the world around her. Worse of all, Luna could fall into a deep depression that would eventually, in the end, kill her.

"Please, darling." Drake begged while scooting closer to her bedside with his chair. He wrapped her into a hug. "Don't go quiet, I'll miss our silly conversations." He tried again. She only blinked at him.

She moved her free hand and stroked Drake's hand with her thumb. "I can't promise anything, Drake." Luna said softly as she pulled Drake to sit with her on the bed. He obliged instantly and curled up beside Luna, stroking her cheek. Gradually, her eyes closed from exhaustion. Drake kissed her cheek and wrapped an arm around her as she slept peacefully.

°°°°°

Zak was never really fond of traffic jams, and sitting in an onslaught of gas-guzzling machinery in the blazing sun wasn't something he wanted to do days before a lockdown at a local haunted house called Cobblestone Manor. He and his crew members, Nick Groff and Aaron Goodwin, had research to do on the manor to present on the night of the lockdown. They had no time to waste.

Unfortunately, he knew that time flew when sitting on a mile long bridge with cars backed up as far as the crew could see. Nick bounced around in the passenger seat as his friend tried to look behind at the long line of cars.

"Wow," Nick commented, whistling lowly, as he eyed the long line of traffic. "I don't think we are getting out of this anytime soon." Aaron nodded in agreement.

Zak gripped the steering wheel of the rented black van until his knuckles turned white, bloodless. He tilted his head back and released a frustrated groan. "No kidding. I wonder what happened up ahead that's causing such a backup."

Nick strained his neck out of the window. Obviously not happy with what he saw, he plopped back in his seat and grumbled under his breath. "I can only see damn cars, Zak. That's not much more of what we're looking at now."