Chapter Five

Sorry this is kind of late. I'm trying to start uploading on every Friday now! :D Cheers~!

Chapter Five

Jeremy’s POV

It felt so weird, standing in front of Pristine and talking with her yet it felt so right. I felt like I belonged somewhere for the first time in my life. My parents were always abusive and ignored me but the attention she gave me that evening made me feel like I was worth something.

“Your happiness reeks,” Derek teased as we went inside the house.

“And yours doesn’t,” I replied, knowing how he could sense people’s emotions and thoughts. I was embarrassed on what was on my mind. I was infatuated with Pristine but I never really liked a girl before. It was all new to me. I had girls hit on me when I used to work at the diner but Pristine was different than those girls who attached themselves to me sometimes quite literally.

“The report I got back from the Institute wasn’t as what I expected,” Derek groaned, going straight for the refrigerator in the kitchen. He ripped open a blood bag and poured it in his liquor cup.

“It’s only the first day, Derek. Don’t give up,” I said reassuring him. If I was able to talk with Pristine and befriend Bryon and his friends, Derek’s whole master plan could work. I saw the faces of the other vampires and werewolves around us and they seemed intrigued. Things could work out. It just needed time.

“You’re right,” Derek agreed after taking a one-shot on the blood. “About the whole thing about time and of course not giving up. It seems like you have the most faith in me,” Derek sighed, reading my thoughts.

“Glad to be of help,” I replied, taking out the medicine bottle by habit. The drugs in here faced me, mocking me of my weakness. No matter how much I spent my life helping others, I would never be able to help myself.

“Jeremy, there’s nothing you can do. You are who you are and I honestly couldn’t ask for a better apprentice,” Derek smiled at me. It was times like this when I wished Derek couldn’t read my thoughts. I wanted to show that I was strong enough and capable of things but all I’ve been showing was how weak and unneeded I was.

“Why do you even need an apprentice?” I asked. Derek explained to me that he was a fallen angel so he was beyond immortal. He was the one who started the race of vampires. He took care of all the vampires for millenniums. Why did he need help now?

“Because I know one day I won’t be here and I will be able to go with confidence that everything I have left will be taken care of. I entrust you with all this,” Derek said, lifting his arms up to emphasize it but it only reached the girth of his kitchen. No one really knew the extent of how big his arms were meant to reach.

“Why won’t you be here, Derek? You’ll stay here forever, won’t you?” I asked, suddenly afraid that Derek will leave everything one day without instructions. He was immortal anyways so I shouldn’t worry, I told myself.

“I miss my fellow brothers and sisters and I wish to be reunited with them. I am the only survivor left and I am long passed my due but don’t worry. It won’t be anytime yet so don’t go around moping yet!” Derek said enthusiastically, putting his cup in the sink and letting the water rinse out the thick blood.

“Derek, you’re being irrational. You can’t just…leave,” I said if that was even the right word. What was he going to do to die if he was an immortal? How did the others die?

“Jeremy, I entrust you with my life. I’ve known you for what, only a year? which is very short in our world but I know your heart and it is good.” The words Derek were saying made my eyes water. No one had ever cared for me as Derek had. It was a foreign feeling to be acknowledged and cared for.