Chapter Fourteen

The next few weeks were completely awful. First, I couldn't get into my dad's study and take a peek at his notes. Second, because Jeremy and I had come up with the plan to snoop and we weren't on talking terms, it was difficult to discern on how to proceed from here so I've been a sitting duck. Thirdly, Jeremy had been doing a great job of ignoring me and disappearing whenever class ended. I guess I deserved that because I had ran out of class the first day he was back, but he had been very clear to stay away from me after I dropped the biggest news on him.

We are mates.

How did that happen? I have no idea. I think God was bored and thought pairing up a werewolf and a vampire was an amusing thing to pass the time.

I was sitting in Mr. Hayward's class mindlessly taking notes and watching Jeremy in the corner of my eye. He had very good self-control as he was able to avoid me for three weeks. As each day passed, I became more and more depressed.

Bryon definitely noticed through my fake smiles, but I still acting well in front of Tristan, who, I believe, knew nothing about Jeremy and me, except for the fact that he believes Jeremy has a crush on me, which was quite the opposite. It was I who had fallen for him, and I felt very stupid for it. I can still blame God who made me biologically attracted to Jeremy. He was my mate after all. That didn't mean I had to be happy about it, so I sat hunched over my desk with a hoodie over my head and a pen in my hand doodling on the side of my lined paper.

Mr. Hayward passed out instructions for our next essay and allowed us to brainstorm with the people next to us. Janette took that opportunity to talk to Jeremy about her ideas for the essay. I tried to tune them out as I began my own brainstorming. I could hear Jeremy's low voice, but refused to focus any more to hear what he was exactly saying. Janette laughed, making me cringe and bringing my wolf to high alert. I tried to calm her and myself down, sending soothing words of comfort, even if I didn't really believe in those words.

My wolf growled, but let it go. She trusted me and I was glad of it, because I don't know what I would do if Janette was clawed by my wolf. That would be a disaster.

Janette kept giggling or laughing, and even had the courage to playfully slap Jeremy on the shoulder as if he just said the funniest joke in the world. I heard Jeremy laugh as well. I had almost forgotten what his laugh sounded like. It was melodic and real, no barrier or secret in that laugh. It was contagious and beautiful...and I missed it.

Anger boiled in me and my wolf stirred and encouraged it. I stood up in my chair abruptly, my fists so tight my nails were digging into my palms. At the same time, the school bell rang, dismissing the class.

No one seemed to see my action to be out of the ordinary. All the students quickly got up and packed up their belongings. Jeremy quickly said his good-byes to Janette and left the classroom. I shoved my notebook and assignment in my bag and quickly ran after him.

There was so much emotion in me that I didn't even think about what I was going to say. All I knew was I needed to talk to him. I pushed through the crowd and grabbed his arm.

Jeremy seemed to shiver as if my touch was a cold electric shock. He turned, locking his eyes to me. His usual bright, warm green eyes quickly changed into dark green ones.

"Let go of me," Jeremy ordered, his voice distant and almost cold.

"Come with me," I said, fighting to roll my eyes. He sounded so dramatic. Before he could reply, I grabbed even tighter and pulled him away from the busy crowd into a more isolated part of the school.