It's What You Do to Me (21)

“Seth just told me that he wanted to break up,” Marnie explained to me, and she looked like she was about to burst into tears. “I don’t even know why! I thought things were going just fine… But then he said he wanted time apart, and there wasn’t anything I could do to change his mind!”

“That isn’t like Seth,” I sighed, rubbing my chin like I was some kind of detective. “He doesn’t do things without a reason. He told me that you two were growing apart, but you two seemed perfectly fine the last time I saw you guys together.”

“I thought we were fine!” Marnie cried, now scrubbing at her eyes. I hated seeing her this way. First River and me, and now Seth and Marnie? What was the world coming to? “I thought everything was going great between us, but obviously he didn’t feel the same!”

We were talking about Seth here! He didn’t just do stupid things for no reason. Why would he break up with Marnie? It definitely wasn’t because they were growing apart or anything.

Seth had risked his life and killed three men for this girl, and now he just broke up with her for no apparent reason? That was total bull. There had to be a reason that he wasn’t telling me.

“I’m sure you’ll get back together with him,” I told her, rubbing her shoulder lightly as she continued to cry. “This isn’t like Seth at all. He’s probably just going through some stupid phase, or a midlife crisis.”

“A midlife crisis is for an old man!” she sobbed, burying her face into my shoulder now.

Oh, this was going to be so difficult.

*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~*

I hated having to see River and Kendra walking hand-in-hand, or see them kissing or hugging. I hated seeing them together, period. It was so painful for me to see.

River’s roots were black, obviously because his hair was growing with its original color. As they were walking by me one day, I heard Kendra telling him that he had to dye it again, but he disagreed and said that for some reason he liked having black hair.

Yeah, he liked a lot more than just black hair.

I couldn’t wait until he was back to normal.

And I also hated that Kendra’s locker was almost exactly across from mine, so I had to see her meet up and kiss River before and after classes. She knew I was there, and she knew I was pissed off, but that didn’t stop her from kissing him any chance she got.

“Someone’s jealous,” someone teased from behind my locker door, and I moved it out of the way to see Seth smirking at me.

“Of course I’m jealous,” I grumbled taking a text book out of my locker now. “That’s my fiancé over there, not hers. She stole him.”

Seth frowned now. “I’m sure you’ll get him back.”

“I can only hope.”

When I saw Kendra stretch up on her toes to kiss River again, it took all my willpower not to cringe. She knew I was watching them, I was sure, and she just liked to torture me. The bitch…

When they finally pulled away from each other after they were done sucking face, I noticed River looking in Seth’s and my direction. Taking this to my advantage, I grabbed Seth by the collar of his shirt and pulled him in to kiss me. He was supposed to be my boyfriend, after all.

When I pulled away from him, he looked surprised for only a second. “It’s going to take some time getting used to that.”

I sighed. “Yeah, same with me.”