It's What You Do to Me (2)

I should have known this moment was going to be ruined somehow, but I didn’t expect it to be this. I actually expected Seth and Rex to show up and crash the party, but I would have preferred them compared to who really stepped through the front door.

Everything always seemed to be interrupted, especially the good things. It didn’t matter if it was Rex or someone else; we always managed to get interrupted. I just didn’t understand it.

“Where’s the red marker when I need it?” I found myself grumbling, spinning the spaghetti on my fork, doing my best not to look up at my ex-boyfriend and River’s ex-girlfriend. I really wished I could have slashed red X’s in their faces right then, but I knew that it was impossible when it came to real life.

If people thought that River and I were a surprising couple, they never saw Bekka and Avery before. Avery was like me, a total prep. And Bekka was like River, they were emo.

“What a coincidence,” Bekka sneered, coming up to our table without a second thought. I felt myself roll my eyes as I saw Avery follow after her, a glare on his face. I could still remember how it was like when he would smile at me like I was the only person in the world, but now he was glaring at me like he wished I was dead. “What’s the special occasion? Probably nothing important, right?”

I gave her a flat look, and I felt my eye twitch slightly. I was sure that she knew that it was River’s birthday just by the way she was saying how unimportant it was. I didn’t get how she could act like such an uncaring bitch, but still have someone like Avery like her.

“Actually,” I started sharply, placing my napkin down on the table as nicely as I could, even though I felt like suffocating her with it, “it’s a very important day. It’s River’s birthday.”

She only smirked. “So I was right. Not important.”

I stood up from the table abruptly, as if I was going to jump her or something. She took a step back, and Avery now stepped in front of her. Wow. He never protected me or anything like that when we were going out. But I couldn’t really think of a time he had to.

But it wasn’t like I was actually going to hurt her or anything, no matter how much I wanted to. Even if I did attack her, she would probably be able to beat me no matter what. I wasn’t a fighter.

“You’re not cheating on poor River, are you?” Avery asked, and eyebrow raising in amusement. Now he was just saying things to get us pissed off, I knew it. “I’d hate to see him go through what I had to go through. You didn’t seem like a slut when I met you.”

“Hey, asshole,” River said, standing up himself. “Back off. You don’t know anything about her.”

Avery looked away from River and back at me. “You got that right.”

“I didn’t cheat on you,” I snapped, my hands balling into fists at my sides as I continued to glare at them. “What happened between Seth and me was fake. River and I didn’t even get together until after we broke up. And nothing happened between Rex and me at all.”

I wasn’t about to mention about how I had lost my first kiss to Rex, since it didn’t even matter anymore. He had kissed me for a prank, but there were no feelings behind it. He was going out with Avery’s cousin anyway.

“You still lived with all boys and didn’t tell him,” Bekka piped up from behind Avery, sticking her tongue out at me. “What kind of girlfriend lies to her boyfriend?”

“At least I didn’t use him,” I snapped once again, crossing my arms over my chest. “I love River. I don’t care if you believe me or not, but I do. And honestly, I don’t care what you think. I stopped caring what people think a long time ago.”