It's What You Do to Me (5)

I was kind of surprised that there wasn’t anyone around. Everyone was probably in their dorms, since it was almost like a ghost town in the hallway.

“This place is so much bigger than Eden! I’m so jealous!” Marnie announced, her voice echoing off the walls as we made our way through the school to get to River’s dorm. “And not to mention you guys have Jay Harris attending school and living here! Man, why can’t I have a special talent?”

“Hey, Rex got in,” Alice informed her with a shrug. “So it’s not that hard to get in, apparently.”

Marnie looked at Alice with a grin. “The way you talk about your boyfriend is just hilarious. I know that you guys love each other, but you sure don’t talk like you do.”

Alice shrugged once again. “Eh, it’s different for us, I guess. With you and Seth, it’s obvious that you guys are going out and love each other, but it’s obvious that you like to keep things private. With Delilah and River, it’s so freaking obvious that they’re head over heels in love with each other and that they’re together, especially when it comes to River. Jeez, Delilah, whenever you’re mentioned his mood just gets so much better. And it’s like the whole world pretty much knows that you two are going out.”

I felt my cheeks heat up slightly, but I didn’t say anything as Marnie giggled, “That’s so true! They were on the news, weren’t they?”

At the mention of this, my cheeks entire face turned white, no longer having the warm blush that I kind of missed. River and I had been on the news before, but it was because of Mr. Higginson. River was on the news when he was shot, and then both of us were after Mr. Higginson was caught. I didn’t want to remember that at all.

“Oops,” Marnie blinked, obviously remembering now. “I’m sorry, Delilah! I didn’t mean to! I totally forgot what the reason you guys were on the news for! Sorry!”

I shook my head, waving a hand in front of my face to try to get the color back. “It’s fine,” I sighed, breathing in and out. I hated how easily remembering what had happened could freak me out, but I just had to stay calm and forget. Mr. Higginson was in jail, far away from me. He wasn’t ever going to bother me again. I wasn’t ever going to see him again.

Except in my nightmares and hallucinations. I’d always see him there.

I continued to wonder if Mr. Higginson would ever get out of my mind. With what was going on now, I didn’t think he ever would. He had sort of gotten what he wanted. I was definitely never going to forget, and that was what he wanted. Well, he wanted me for himself more than that, but…

It was just so creepy.

At this time the year before, I was dreading going back to school. I knew what I was going back to, and I knew that he was there waiting for me. It was only a few months after that when I got sent away to Bentwood and met my two best friends, a brotherly figure, and a fiancé.

I couldn’t wait to marry River. That’s all I wanted. I wanted to marry him and finally forget about Mr. Higginson. But was the last part even possible? I didn’t really think it was. How was I ever going to forget what had happened with Mr. Higginson that chilly night in April?

It was August now, and I could still remember what his lips felt like on mine, and it still felt like I was trapped in his van whenever I closed my eyes. All those pictures of me… My favorite sweater that I never even got back…

I didn’t realize that I was shaking until Marnie stopped walking and grabbed my arm. “Are you alright, Delilah?” she asked, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion. “You’re shaking…”