Chapter 6

The second meeting day commenced. The whole time I was in there, I was distracted. I kissed Will. Not on purpose and not on the mouth, but it still happened none the less. I assumed Kasey didn't know; he would have said something. Kasey was sick at home so he didn't have to trudge through the longest meeting known to all of history. But Will was there. Throughout the whole meeting he was staring at me. I only permitted myself five swift glances in his general direction. The meeting was paused for lunch. I was the first person up, practically running towards the door. Will was closely following. "Can I please talk to you??" Will asked, my pace then quickened. "Please," he pleaded sounding sincere. I stopped then turned to face him. I looked straight into his eyes. "Thank you," he started," I didn't mean for that to happen. It's just you sounded really upset and I thought it would comfort you." He looked down. "You made me think... You were someone else," I said whispering angrily and looking around the room. "I'm sorry, I really didn't mean for that to happen. I also didn't think you were gonna," he trailed off blushing. I blushed too then said," well I wouldn't have... I mean I thought," I paused trying to think of what I was trying to say. "I thought you were Kasey." I knew saying that would hurt him, but I really did think that. He looked down again then whispered,"I know." "I'm sorry I kissed you, even if it was only on the cheek," I said hoping he wouldn't feel awful. He gave himself a half a smile then said," don't worry. It wasn't bad." I blushed, but it wasn't a normal slight rosy cheeks blush. It was an intense bright tomato red face kind of blush. We had to sit down again. We both went to our seats. "We have come to a decision," One of the men said. (I probably should've known who he was but I honestly had no idea.) I listened closely to hear. "We will send two of our top fighters to go scout the government's base. They then will be accompanied by more of our scouts who will tell them what to do from there." I wondered who would be doing what. My dad stepped up. He swallowed hard then stated," when you hear your name please stand up. The two fighters will be, Elle and Kasey." I stoop up sheepishly. My mom began to cry. "Where is Kasey??" My dad asked so everyone could hear. "At home sick," Christine (his mom) said beginning to weep. My dad contemplated something with his fellow leader type people. I stared at them, childishly hoping I would suddenly get super sonic hearing, so I could eavesdrop. My dad cleared his throat to get everyone's attention. "Due to Kasey's illness we will have to make some minor adjustments. Seeing as though the fighters will have to leave tomorrow, we will need someone in pristine condition. So the fighters will be: Elle and Will." My stomach dropped. I pinched myself hoping it was all just a bad dream. But I didn't wake up. "Kasey and Dillon will be the scouts." My dad finished. Lately I had been very emotionally unstable so I wasn't sure how it was going to work. My mom sobbed some more, as did Christine. Will and I were the only ones still standing, so we decided it was probably best if we sat down too.