Chapter 12

We walked in utter silence for a few minutes until Will broke it with," so... This is awkward." I rolled my eyes and kept walking. He stopped; I did too a few paces ahead of him. I turned to face him. "If you want me to, I'll go back. I mean we aren't that far," Will began but I cut him off with," no." I paused. "It's just... You tricked me. I know it wasn't exactly on purpose. But you still did it. I have to thank you I guess. What you did was under handed and stupid, but it really did help me. So in that case thank you." He looked at me almost confused. "Really?" Was all he managed to say. I nodded. I started walking again. "Um... Thank you too. I didn't mean for it to be bad so I'm glad you forgave me." I gave him a half a smile. Now that we had gotten the unpleasantries out of the way, we began to have a good time together. We talked about funny stories, ones about school before we had to be home schooled. I honestly had never minded being home schooled. He was ok with it but he liked normal school too. Being two years older than me he was in school longer than I was, so he clearly had more stories to tell. I was fine with it though because his voice was low and soothing. Though we were in a forest light and heat could easily get to us. I was wearing a white t-shirt and black spankies. The white made it less hot, though my shorts were black, they let my legs and other parts of me breath. They were comfortable and I could easily move in them. It had been getting very hot. After I was done laughing at one of Will's child hood memories, I asked," Will, what time is it?" We stopped. He grabbed a little watch out of a small side pocket on his backpack. "It's 12:47," he quickly answered. "Should we stop and eat lunch??" I asked hearing my stomach growl. "Sure," he answered nodding. We found the nearest shade and sat in it. "What do you want to eat?" Will asked me pulling his backpack around. "I'm not sure, what do we have?" I answered his question with a question. He dug around in the medium sized pocket on his huge backpack. He pulled out a baggie with two sandwiches in it. "Are you up for peanut butter and jelly?" He beamed as he asked this. Seeing his smiling face I lit up. "Always!" I answered happily. We dug into our yummy food. I looked up for a second to catch my breath after devouring half of my sandwich. Will's eyes met mine as he laughed. "What?" I asked slightly confused. "Nothing," he said between chuckles. "Tell me," I pressed. He stopped laughing for a moment to say," you ate that sandwich fast. It was so cute." I went red, I could just feel the heat gathering up in my cheeks. He looked down, his smile fading. I continued to eat. I then grabbed a clementine. I peeled it quickly and ate it fast. I took a sip from my water bottle. I had only had a little sip because of two simple reasons. The first being that we didn't have an endless supply of water; we had three plastic disposable water bottles each, and then a big metal canteen just in case. The second reason was that I was a girl. Boys can find a place to do their business anywhere, but unfortunately I didn't have that luxury. There was no running water, or even a nasty porti-potty. I knew that at some dreaded point I would have to go, but I was going to make it last. I was NOT looking forward to squatting behind a bush to relieve myself. After Will had finished eating I asked," so what now??" He looked at his watch. "Maybe we should take a nap and wait for the sun to pass over so we won't have to walk in it. I think it would be more effective this way, because if we walk in the heat we will become more drained and this way we can be energized and won't be as hot," Will said. "Good idea," I replied. We laid in the shade, Will's feet pointing one my, mine pointing the other. Our heads were very close, but those were the only things. I had never been able to take naps in the day. It was just to light, hot, and my body wanted to be awake with the rest of the world. After a few minutes laying there in silence, I leaned towards Will's ear and whisper asked,"are you still awake?" "Yes," he whisper replied. I focused on all the sounds of the forests to see if it helped. I felt Will's comforting hand begin to rub my neck. It was soothing. I gave in. I let the coolness wash over me. I drifted off for what only felt like a second.