Chapter 2: Night-Time Conversations

Chapter Two

The wind howled ominously outside causing the bedroom window to rattle time and time again, which did nothing to calm my frayed nerves.

I pulled the duvet around me tighter, as if that alone could protect me from the inhabitant of my new room, whenever he chose to appear.

Glancing down at my watch yet again, I was reminded that I needed to sleep, my heavy eyelids were sign enough of the pressing need.

2:35am

But for sleep to come now was impossible, as I was too wound up and worried to go to sleep, not wanting to be caught unawares if the ghost decided to return.

As soon as the ghost had left a couple of hours ago, I contemplated on what I should do next; a couple of scenarios running through my head. All of them including running to Mum. None ending well.

I sighed, dragging my hand down my face, knowing full well that worrying wouldn't get me anywhere. There was also the ever pressing concern of heat as the duvet did little to ward off the chill in the room.

I gently eased out of bed glancing around the well illuminated room; not wanting to take any chances in the darkness- especially not with a ghost on the prowl.

Seeing the coast was clear, I placed my bare feet on the freezing ground, shivering at the cold that lay heavy on the room as I exited the warm sanctuary my duvet provided.

Hesitantly I walked towards the fireplace; hoping the old, dust covered and aged looking fireplace would work. It was a grand old thing, that took up nearly half the wall, with intricate patterns paved into the stone structure, as years of dust lay undisturbed on its surface.

Kneeling down I gingerly felt around the fireplace, and after a moment or two I finally located the little knob I had been looking for, pressing it in until I heard the faint clicking sound.
I hoped that after all these years it would still work.

I quickly twisted the knob, expecting a fire to light the stone hearth. Much to my dismay it didn't work, but I wasn't one to give up so quickly, especially since my grandmother had a similar fireplace at her home and I knew sometimes it needed a little coaxing before it would work.

Thankfully after the fifth try, a warm blaze was aglow.

I stood up, moving back a little as the fire heated up, feeling a little happy inside at my small accomplishment.

"I'm surprised you managed to make it work."

A little cry made its way out of my mouth before I could stop it, as I whirled around to find the ghost- Cole, sitting on the window ledge, his arms crossed over his chest as his legs lay out in front of him- in a posture that was totally relaxed.

The same couldn't be said for me as I stood rigid, frozen in place, my eyes glued to him. What unnerved me the most with him showing up was that I hadn't even heard a sound; no whoosh, no click or whatever sound ghosts made when they popped out of nowhere.

Seeing ghosts was one thing but being attacked by one was on a whole different level, especially when they made no noise.

I swallowed hard as Cole glanced at the fire then back at me, his greener then grass eyes much brighter than they had been when I had last saw him. As a matter of fact, his whole body seemed more solid than before- the outline of the window behind him could only be seen if I looked long and hard enough.

"Cat got your tongue?" He asked after a lengthy silence, when neither of us moved nor spoke.

He rolled his eyes as at my silence, "At least the last occupants were more fun to scare." He said in a voice that was both deep and rich, "You're no fun, little mouse."