Chapter 7: A Step In The Right Direction

Chapter Seven

Mum was already greeting the stranger on the doorstep, having not heard my plea of panic but that didn't stop me from getting out of my seat to follow her. I stopped in the hallway with my heart in my mouth as the door swung open, blasting the chill autumn air into the house.

But I didn't feel the cold once I saw who was standing at the doorway. I felt the sweet embrace of relief as I found that it wasn't the redhead standing there, ready to pounce, but an unfamiliar woman, with a warm smile and eyes the colour of the stormy grey clouds spreading across the sky behind her.

It was only then I realised a few seconds after, that if it had been the redhead woman, mum wouldn't have heard the knocks since she didn't have my ability. I was really becoming too paranoid. I only hoped mum hadn't heard my words.

"Oh, what a pleasant surprise." Mum said, as she moved away from the door, "Please come in."

"I should hope it is," the stranger laughed as she stepped into our house, patting down her black hair that had been dancing a tango with the unforgiving wind. "Sorry for disturbing you so late at night Anna."

"It's not a problem Fay."

As Fay came in, she caught sight of me and sent a grin my way, her red lips reminding me eerily of the redhead woman. "You must be Zenith. I guess this would be the part I tell you you look just like your mum, but you don't." She said laughing a little.

Having just managed to calm my pounding heart, I nodded my head. "Hi."

Mum closed the door, "Fay is a friend from work."

I managed a small smile, the adrenaline in my body just managing to go down to normal levels, that was until I heard a familiar voice speak beside me.

"Boo."

I had to congratulate myself for not screaming bloody murder or going into cardiac arrest- or even a mixture of the two at the unexpected reappearance of the infuriating ghost.

Mum and Fay had already moved into the dining room, Fay ruffling my dark hair as she went past. I caught a snippet of their conversations as to why she graced us with her sudden appearance just before they disappeared from my view. 

"Michael needs the forms tomorrow to send off. Thankfully I saw them on my way out and I'm glad I did since Michael entrusted them to me to give to you when you came in. Since I forgot to hand them to you before you left, I had to get them to you one way or another, even if it meant trekking up the damned hill to get here. I must admit I was a little surprised when I saw your address."

"What an evening. Since you're here, you may as well have some soup Zei cooked up." Mum turned to look at me, "You coming sweetie?"

Not daring to look at my side, I shook my head. "I think I'll head up. I need to sort out some college things. It was nice to meet you, Fay." I said, not forgetting my manners.

She flashed me a toothy grin, "You too, love."

As they went into the dining room, I shot a glare to my side but to my surprise, Cole wasn't there.
I knitted my eyebrows together as I started up the stairs. I couldn't have imagined it, could I?

"You didn't imagine seeing me." As if reading my thoughts, Cole answered from the top of the stairs. When I looked up, I saw that he was sitting on the top step of the staircase, his long legs out in front of him, chin on hand as he gazed down at me, his green eyes giving nothing away.

I looked up at him as he stared down at me steadily, neither of us saying anything for one awkward moment.

He was the first one to break the silence that had draped over us, quietly suffocating us.