Chapter 5: Ghost 101

Chapter Five

If I thought I would be met with an eerie interior of dark walls, lit candles, dreary heavy drapes, incense lit, a skull laying about, or even a crystal ball on a round table, as I walked in-I was proven wrong.

Utterly wrong.

The scent of bubblegum hit me along with the colour of the walls, which were of a bright green; reminding me somewhat uncomfortably of Cole's eyes.
Though the blinds were drawn, they did nothing to lessen the intensity of the colour that ran throughout the room.
My eyes caught sight of the ceiling where many fairy lights hung, glittering in the dark like tiny stars, small pulses of warm yellow bouncing off the walls.
I blinked a couple of times, quite taken aback by the intensely bright interior. If I hadn't looked up this place, I would have been fooled to believe it was anything but a supernatural business

Weak sunlight filtered through the windows as the enigma of a man dubbed Mr M, drew the blinds back from the stores windows, with slow and steady movements.

"I do apologise for not being prepared. It's not often I get customers so early in the morning." Mr M said as he walked towards the front of the shop where a granite counter lay with papers haphazardly strewn across, as he finished drawing the blinds.

"It's fine." I answered as my curious gaze caught sight of the glass shelves taking up every inch of space on the walls, with the most random objects placed on them; from books to scented candles. I even spotted a couple of packets of seeds on the shelves nearest to me. When the sunlight hit the glass, they twinkled and shone as if glitter had been scattered on the surfaces.

Looking over at Mr M who had began shuffling the papers with curious raised bumps into a neater pile, sunglasses still on, I wondered if I had made the right decision in coming here.
But Mr M didn't allow me to dwell on my thoughts as he motioned for me to come forward with a flick of his hands.

"You're new to this town, aren't you?" He asked as I stood in front of the desk, his fingers tapping a rhythm on to its polished surface.

"Yes...how do you know?" I asked cautiously, a little thrown off by the random question.

A small smile lifted from the corner of his mouth at my question, "RiverEnd is a small town where everyone knows everyone. It's not often we get people moving in." He answered. "So tell me, how can I help you?"

I took a deep breath. Although I was wary about spilling my ghost problems to a total stranger who I had just met for five minutes- heck I didn't know if he was a fake or not- but I had no one else to turn to for help so it was now or nothing.

"Well, I have a bit of a ghost predicament I'm in and I need your help getting rid of it." I said, careful not to mention my own ghost seeing abilities. I wasn't about to wholeheartedly trust the strange man in front of me with that information.

I was met with another small smile. "Care to elaborate?

I took in another deep breath of sweet smelling fragrance.

"Well, I've just moved into a new house and I have seen things moving in thin air with no logical explanation to those occurrences apart from a supernatural cause. I feel like I'm being watched but I'm always alone. It's freaking me out." I said, trying to sound convincing as possible by adding a little fear into my voice but I doubt I pulled it off. Drama was never my strongest subject in school.

It was a sad cliché story, but all I had at that moment. I felt frustrated at myself for not thinking of a plausible story without revealing too much.