EPILOGUE: Best friends

September 25, 2014

Dear Heart,

I am watching the man I love as he waits for the woman he wanted to be with for the rest of his life. It kinda sucks but I have to be happy for him. He was after all, my best friend.

-------------

“Best friend. The one friend that is closest to you. But what if, you fall in love with your best friend? What will you do?”

I was smiling that day and I realized that my smile was a genuine one. I am really happy as I look at the couple in the middle of the church exchanging their loving looks as they say their vows. Masaya ako at alam kong masaya ang lahat ng tao sa paligid ko ngayon.

The couple’s happiness was radiating, nakakahawa, hindi lang ang kasiyahan nila kundi pati ang pag-ibig na nararamdaman nila para sa isa’t-isa.

“Ikaw, kahit na minsan, slow ka, kahit na minsan, mas mabagal ka pa sa internet namin sa bahay, mahal na mahal naman kita at sa dami ng pinagdaanan nating dalawa, I know in my hearts of hearts, I know Jacinto Emilio, na ikaw lang ang para sa akin.”

I laughed as I hear Alexis’ vows of love towards the man standing neXt to her. Totoong tawa, walang kasamang bitterness.

“Alexis Sara Cai…” It was Jacinto Emilio’s turn. I saw him take Alexis hand and the he sighed. “Every time I look at you, I always remember that time when I first realized that it was you that I want to spend the rest of my life with. I was twenty, you were seventeen, I wasn’t aware of it that time but right now as I look at you, by the way, you look so beautiful and the best part of it is your mine, I am thankful that you gave me the chance I didn’t think I deserve, you waited for me for a year…”

I wiped my tears as I heard the shakiness of Jacinto’s voice. Knowing him, I know that he was about to cry. I had seen him cry so many times last year habang naka-isolate siya kay Alexis.

I saw how hurt he was habang tumatagal ang panahon na hindi niya ito kasama. Madalas kong sabihin sa kanya noon na bumalik na siya pero ang lagi niyang sagot…

“Hindi pa pwede, nasasaktan pa siya sa tuwing nakikita ako. Kailangan munang gumaling iyong sugat na binigay ko sa kanya bago ako humarap muli sa kanya.”

Jacinto lived for a year like a stalker. Hindi man siya nagpapakita kay Lexy palagi naman siyang nakasunod dito. Nainis na lang talaga ako sa kanya kaya isang gabi, pinagsasampal ko siya. I told him to man up and face Alexis.

“Hindi pa pwede---“

Isang malakas na sampal ang binigay ko sa kanya.

“June two na bukas! Birthday na naman niya! Bumalik ka na! I know how much she was missing you! Man up, Jacinto!”

After that night, Jacinto man up and he finally faced Alexis.

I was there, we’ll not in front of her door, nasa kotse ako noon, inihatid ko si Jacinto para sigurado ako na pupuntahan nga niya si Alexis. Baka kasi puntahan niya nga, hindi na naman siya magpakita. I was watching him as he knocked on her door, I saw when the door opened, I saw Alexis smiled when she saw Jacinto, I saw them kiss. I was their to witness everything and I was really surprised to realize na hindi na ako nasasaktan.

Right at that moment, I realized na hindi lang si Alexis at si Jacinto ang masaya kundi pati ako, because finally, I let Jacinto go, I had moved on.

“You have always been my dream, a dream that became a habit…” pagpapatuloy pa ni Jacinto. “A habit turned to dream, and now thirteen years later, my dream became my reality. That’s how much I love you. And p.s. I still owe you ten more kisses. Patay ka sa akin mamaya.” Nakita kong kinindtan pa ni Jacinto si Alexis. Tawa naman ako nang tawa. Was he even allowed to say that inside the church?

“Congratulations, Alexis Sarah and Jacinto.” The priest looked at the both of them. “Jacinto, you may now kiss your bride.”

And he did. I was the first one to clap my hands. I was smiling so wide. Sa dami ng pinagdaanan nilang dalawa. I really think that they deserve this moment. And as I was looking at them, I realized that they are made for each other at masaya ako dahil naging part ako ng journey papunta sa kanilang happiness…

The end