Prologue

"Clara!" Ashildr screamed, trying to get the TARDIS stable. She darted from gear to gear, trying to put every last ounce of her concentration towards this flight.

The TARDIS comes to a sudden halt, sending Clara and Ashildr flying across the room onto the surprisingly painful ground.

Clara stood herself up, dusting off her waitress dress before helping up Ashildr too. She glanced up at the readings, looking quite puzzled. "We're on Earth still. 1981."

Ashildr shrugged. "So?"

"There wasn't this much noise in 1981..."

The door swung open to reveal a horrific sight. The streets were burning, people were screaming, running for their lives. Hooded creatures walked around amongst it all, without a care in the world about all of the torture around them.

Clara's eyes widened in shock and anger, until she heard a scream. She and Ahildr ran towards the source of the scream, dodging people and fire in their path.

They came to quite an old looking house, with the sound of a young child crying coming from inside. Clara walked in and peaked through the bedroom door, trying not to be spotted by the people inside.

A tall, cloaked man towered over a baby's cot. Ashildr walked in behind Clara, standing on something as she came. A man lay dead on the floor in front of her. She jumped back, startled, tugging Clara's arm.

Clara violently shook her off before looking back inside the room. Another being lay dead in there too. A woman of about the same age of the man.

The hooded figure held up a wooden stick towards the child's forehead, before saying some words that Clara couldn't even understand.

There was a blinding green flash which made both of the girls jump back in fright. They held their arms over their eyes, shielding them from the brightness.

Clara slowly took her arm down, looking at what had happened. Not what she'd expected;

The child was in the cot; crying, but alive. The hooded figure was now gone, no sign of him. Ashildr gasped. How could something that killed two grown adults be defeated by a baby.

All of a sudden, they heard someone come in through the front door. They quickly ran for the nearest cupboard, frightened of getting caught.

A man with long black hair swept past the dead man on the floor and into the bedroom where the woman and baby were.

He stopped dead in his tracks, his eyes swelling as if he was about to cry. He looked down at the dead woman on the floor, a tear rolling down his cheek. He dropped onto his knees, the woman in his arms; howling with tears. He rocked backwards and forwards, his jaw on her forehead.

A tear rolled down Clara's cheek too, yet more of a... Sympathy tear. She couldn't stop staring at the horror before her. What had just happened?

After about an hour of waiting, the whole house had cleared. The boy and his parents had been taken away, and Clara and Ashildr were left alone.

Clara was slumped in a bean bag, traumatised by the sights she had seen that evening, whilst Ashildr paced around the room.

Suddenly, they heard something else from behind them. A cry of a baby.

"I thought they took the boy?"

Ashildr looked at Clara, who was now standing up, walking slowly towards the crying. She held her finger to her lips, trying to get Ashildr to stay quiet.

Clara looked over at a small wooden box, placed upside down on the floor. She carefully lifted it to show a baby, probably new born, lying there, wrapped up in blankets. A single note lay over it, with one single word upon it. Hazel.

************************************

Like it so far? Comment and vote!