Jesse's POV

My name is Jesse West, and the girl I loved has been stolen from me. I will see her again. No matter how long it takes, we will be together. I can't live a happy existence without her. Whether in death or life, I'll find her.

I kneel in the grass. The feeling of being helpless makes me angry. But the stinging tears on my cheeks make me angrier.

Willow lay limp in my arms. She's so small. So breakable and gentle. Like a china doll. The rain poured down on us, but I didn't move. I just stared. Willow's face was so pale it was almost translucent. Like glass, or marble. She was still enough to be a carving from stone. Her black hair was plastered to her face, creating wicked strips and designs. Her eyes were closed, making her look like a peaceful sleeper. I knew better though. She was dead.

I couldn't breathe. I couldn't feel. It was as if my heart had died with her. We'd only just shared our first kiss. It had been intense, and I still felt breathless from it. When I thought more about it, I was the one who had killed her. She'd asked me to kiss her, but I could have said no. She could have lived three more days. The doctors could have found the cure... I realized that I'd wanted to kiss her though. I'd wanted to for quite a while now. I'd stolen that kiss without thinking twice.

I looked down to her face, and couldn't stop from blaming her death on me.

I gasped, filling my lungs with air. It was hard to breathe. My chest constricted with pain. More tears burned angrily down my face.

I rested my cheek against her porcelain neck. My tears dripped onto her skin. My shoulders shook violently. I'd lost her. My worst fear come to life. My throat was tight. My stomach burned with all my pent up emotions.There was nothing left in me now. I wanted to scream, but at the same time I was done. Willow was my everything.

Suddenly, I heard a thump against my ear. I listened closer. Thump-thump. It was a heartbeat.

Impossible. I thought to myself. She can't still be alive.

I pulled her closer to me, putting my ear against her heart. The skin was cold against my cheek. Thump-thump. Thump-thump.

There was no denying it was a heartbeat. She was still alive, I realized. Somewhere in there, she was probably fighting to become conscious.

There was still hope.

I gasped, drawing in air. A burst of energy shot through me.

I rose from the wet ground, carrying Willow in my arms. Determination coursed through me now.

She was breathing, and that's all that mattered.

I took off through the grass. Rain ran down my face and into my eyes. The rain was frigid and I pulled Willow to my chest, hoping to keep her warm. I carried Willow around my house, and to the garage. My numb fingers pressed the code into the keypad while I held Willow with one arm.

Yeah, she was that light.

The garage door rose. I didn't pause to tell my parents anything.

Opening the Buick's passenger door, I slid Willow inside, placing her on the black upholstery. Her arms hung limp by her side, and she looked like a puppet without strings. I pressed two fingers against her neck. There was still a pulse. Her chest rose and fell softly with each breath. It reminded me of ocean waves. Her dark hair was a deep contrast to her face, more pallid than I'd ever seen it. She looked ghostly...she looked dead. I swallowed any apprehension I had.

Keep breathing. Don't give up now. I told her silently.

I shut her door and sprinted around to the drivers side. Without thinking twice, I yanked the car into reverse and pulled out of the driveway faster than a black lady twerking. I had one place I needed to be and no one would stop me from getting there.

The road zoomed under the wheels of our car. Minutes passed by, precious seconds of Willows life. Every turn I took, her head would loll to the side. Every stop sign I hit, her hair would sway limply in front of her nose. During one red light, I tucked her hair behind her ear, biting my lip the whole while. She was so pale, so lifeless looking. My heart ached to hold her.

Finally I saw the polished red hospital sign. I pulled in and found a spot close to the entrance.

She's will live. She will live. She will live.

I chanted those words in my head.

Wasting no time, I bolted out of my seat and over to Willow's side. I opened her door and she practically fell out. Lucky enough I was there to catch her.

Wrapping my arms under her legs, I carried her wedding style to the hospital.

I rushed through the entrance. A lady with a blonde pixie cut at the front desk gave me one alarmed glance, and picked up her telephone.

"We have an emergency. There's a young man right here with a girl who looks to be passed out. Bring a stretcher." She put down the phone with a click.

I forced my breathing to be calm.

She will live.

I looked around the waiting room, which was way too white for my liking, and saw there were mainly elderly people there. All eyes were glued to me. I exchanged glances with a few grim nods.

Seconds later, the doors to the patients rooms opened. A long white bed came through, pursued by two doctors, also clad in white.

I immediately recognized the first as Dr. Lance, Willow's main doctor. The other I had never met before.

Dr. Lance gave me a look of pure pity. It looked like he'd expected this, which sparked a flame of anger in me.

"Well have to take her back. I'm not sure there's anything we can do for her, but we'll try. The cure is still being searched for in Kenya, and even if they find it, it won't get here in time." Dr. Lance explained, his lips turned down at the corners.

I felt a surge of anger.

She will live.

"But she's still breathing! I know she's alive, she is!" I began talking frantically, unwilling to believe the negative outcome. My voice was hoarse and choked up with emotion.

The doctor motioned to Willow.

"Place her on the gurney. We'll take her back and see if there's anything we can do."

I looked down at Willow, not willing to leave her. Closing my eyes, I placed her on the bed, forcing myself to let go. The moment I released her, the doctors were carting her away through the doors. I tried to follow, but Dr. Lance told me sternly, "We'll call you back when we have an outcome. For now, stay out here." He paused, giving me another look of pity, like I was a child who had lost their parents at the mall.

I wanted to punch him for being so calm. His face annoyed me. I ground my teeth together.

"I'm sorry."

You sure as hell be if she doesn't come back.

I watched him shut the doors, feeling lost. A piece of me had gone through the doors with him. The only girl I had ever loved was back there. She was back there, laying on the gurney, about to met her death, or about to come to life. I let out a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. It was up to the doctors now. The girl I loved was in their hands. My beautiful, talented, trusting girlfriend was in their hands, and if she didn't come back, someone was going to pay.

I took a seat in the waiting room, all the visitors eyes glued to me. Probably waiting for me to break down crying, which wasn't going to happen on my watch. I stared at my shoes, and ran my hands multiple times through my hair. A slow knot began to form in my stomach. It churned and soon I had nervous chills.

The next time I would see Willow, she would be one of two things. Alive. Or dead.

I waited with growing desperation.

⚫️ ⚫️ ⚫️ ⚫️ ⚫️

Sorry I haven't been writing but here you go!! Thanks for sticking with me! So I was about to add more to this chapter and update it next week, but I was like nah my readers need it now. Love y'all. Comment what you think ;) ❤️ -Audrey out