The second day

I was in the kitchen the next day, eating fresh fruit and sandwiches from the Deli. My mom was on the phone, her face solemn. I tried to overhear her conversation, but it was nothing but a static chatter. She was probably talking with the people in town who were worrying about me, or neighbors who were concerned.

Nonetheless, I was looking forward to today. I was going to see Jesse later, and that made me comforted. I wouldn't be stuck in this house all day. And that would just be horror with my mom. She had started hugging me every time she saw me. She would ask how I felt, and then said how much she loved me. I knew she meant well, but I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't even know who she was.

So I finished my lunch and went to my room to change. I opened my door and switched on the light. Then I opened up my closet and made a face. Bland, pizzazless clothes filled the small space. Well I knew I was wearing my converse for sure. And jeans. But for my top? I rummaged through my clothes and my deep emerald cardigan looked perfect. I threw on my clothes, glancing at my appearance in the mirror.

My pale skin stood out against the green. My slight frame looked like I could slip away in a wisp. My raven hair came to a stop at my belly button. My hair was straight as a board, and thin as silk. My eyes seemed too big for my face, two giant blue orbs. Overall, I thought I looked like an average girl. Different looking, for sure, I still looked normal. I didn't look like I had anything wrong with me. I looked.....ordinary. After a second, I decided I needed to go tell my mom I was going to the creek again. She would want me to tell her instead of just disappearing like I wanted to.

I trotted to the living room and found her frantically punching numbers into the phone.

"Mom?"

She jumped at the sound of my voice.

"Oh. Hey sweetie how are you? I know there is a new movie coming out, and I think we should go see it at the movies." She smiled, her blue eyes crinkling. "How does that sound darling?"

I forced myself not to gag. She was acting stranger than usual.....

"Mom is something wrong?" I stared at her intently.

She sighed. "Well honey, your aunt wants us to come visit this weekend. Then all the moms in town are calling, and the churches are asking if we need prayers, your teachers are emailing...."

She broke off in a choked voice. And suddenly, tears were trickling down her face. She sobbed, and wiped her tears away furiously. "I'm so sorry, I can't...."

She didn't have to say anything else. I put my arms around her and pulled her closer. She sniveled onto my shoulder, her body drooping onto me. I patted her back and calmed her with soothing words. It hit me at how odd this situation was.

Wasn't I supposed to be the one crying?

I reminded myself that I had to be strong. If I collapsed, then my mom would have no one. And she needed me. After a long while, my mom straightened up a bit and looked to the ground.

"I...I don't know what came over me Willow. Everything that's been happening just got to me." She rubbed her eyes again. "But it'll be fine. Everything's okay sweetheart. I love you."

I nodded. "Mom it's okay. Actually, I'm not scared at all. I know that everything happens for a reason, and everything will be fine."

She smiled at me and I hugged her once more. Then I saw the window outside, and dusk was coming. I had to hurry to the creek now.

"I'm going to go to the creek again, ok? I like it there, it's peaceful." I told my mom, not mentioning Jesse.

"Of course honey, just come home soon alright?"