33. Ishani's POV

"Welcome Ishani" Neils mom chirped as I touched her feet. "Be a good bahu and wake up your husband to be." As much as hated the idea, it would give me time to clear Neil my stance on this wedding.

"Namaste aunty. Sure" I slid upstairs and saw some renovations were taking place, there were plastic sheets and plaster kept on the floor. I knocked on Neil's door thrice and I finally went in.

I saw his luggage was kept on a side and he was sprawled on the bed sleeping. He looked peacefully asleep and it hurt to look at him. "Neil, Neil" I called out softly but he did not reply. "Neil" I said a bit louder and shook him. Still no response. "Neil" I said shrilly and shook him harder. He moved all scared and suddenly I was on top of him. I slowly excavated myself from his arms.

"Ish" "Neil your mom is calling you" I decided looking around was an easier option than looking at him. "Ish is it really you?" "Obviously Neil, did you expect someone else" I replied bitterly remembering Singapore. He touched my cheek and I involuntarily shivered. "Neil please" I sounded firm but inside my heart I felt hurt like someone had punched me hard. "Ish please hear me, Riannaismybusinesspartner" he mumbled. "Can you speak clearly?" Neil cleared his throat and started, "Ish when I started this work Rianna's brother Deepak went with me to Singapore but he broke his heart and couldn't work. Rianna stepped in to help me sort things out before my wedding."

"Neil it's okay. I'm hurt because I know I was never your parents first choice and you are different around Rianna" I was speak my fears out aloud. "I can't compete with her for your attention." "Ish you are mine, we share a deeper bond than just friendship. In 10 days we will be married."

"Neil if you had not slept with me that night, you would be married to her" this was not a question but a statement. I got up from the bed and walked out.

When I went downstairs both our mothers were discussing our honeymoon places and called me to to sit between them. They had a thick stack of brochures and were discarding some and keeping some. "Ishani see the places we have picked and select a favourite." Neil's mother thrust a few in my hand. "Aunty let Neil decide" I politely kept them back in the table as a freshly showered Neil came inside. The very same minute the doorbell rang and both our father's entered with packets upon packets of Chola Bhatura's. I touched uncle's feet and hugged my father. "Neil why don't you and your wife open and serve these on the table?" Uncle commented. I flinched visibly, surely Neil understood that I couldn't be his second choice and still marry him.  We went to the kitchen and Neil embraced me, "Ish we are not done yet. We have a bigger issue to address". I removed myself from his arms as I opened the packets of picked mango and radish. I looked up. Neil was opening the packets of Chole into a big white porcelain bowl. "Why don't you trust me Ish?"

I turned back to opening, rather butchering the packets, "asks the man who couldn't come and stop me that night. He was too busy attending his businesses partner." I replied angrily making air quotes when i said business partner. Neil turned me holding my shoulders, "you did not say that. Miss perfection! The night we slept together it was your idea. My father knowing about us happened by chance. Yes, being clear with you was a mistake. Marrying you is probably a mistake too." He turned and left the kitchen and I was reduced to a crying mess.

I washed my face at the kitchen sink and called the house help to serve the breakfast. I went out and saw Neil was talking to my parents like this never happened. I walked out pretending to be on the phone.

"Mom I will be back later office phone. I need my papers." I turned and went out before she could reply. I ran to my room and wanted to hit the bottle and never leave my room but alcohol had fucked up things so bad that I was here. I cried literally the soul wrenching sobs. I knew my parents wouldn't be back for a while so I cried, howled, snoot and all. I felt lighter in my heart but my head hurt. I needed to get out of here. I picked up my car keys and went downstairs grabbing my bag. I drove with loud music and cigarettes. I decided to go to Andy's and apologise.

I rang the bell to his flat and of all the bloody people my arch nemisis, the reason for my pain, my enemy who did not let Neil come near me. Behind the door stood Rianna impeccably dressed as usual in tan pink pants and a white shirt with a big bow. Her hair was arranged in a high pony. "Rianna?" "Ishani" Rianna sounded shocked maybe she wasn't expecting company.

Just that second Andy climbed up the stairs behind me "Ree I got the milk start the coffee." Ree? She was Andy's Ree? She was the conniving woman who had broken Andy's heart! She slept with him for his work! I felt light headed Rianna was really a man eater. "Ishani?" "Andy, she's your Ree?" I pointed towards Rianna who looked at me with an open mouth. "Yes Ishani she is but she regrets what happened." I laughed dryly "really? After so many years the regret pops up? I hope she doesn't break you." "Ishani I owe you an explanation too. Please come inside," it was Rianna calling me desperately.

"No Rianna. If you have not noticed running away is my usual reaction. However let me tell you Neil and I go way deeper and you can't destroy us. Sleeping with him for profit wouldn't help either," I said bitterly and ran downstairs.

I was shocked Rianna was Andy's Ree, Neil's business partner who stayed with him for a week, she was here to ruin my life. I opened the car,and  started driving out of the colony Andy lived in. Soon I was on the main road and no where to go. I did not want to go back home and face the wedding, I had no friends to turn to and the irony was I was marrying my best friend.

I have decided to end this pain. The more I'm stretching this wedding the bigger my mistake seems.

So what do you think? Liking it? Do you feel Ishani needs to break up with Neil?