18. Ishani's POV

Here's another one! Finally the story is rolling! Please do vote!

Neil's not coming last night served me as a reality check. I was sulking in office, the bouquet did not change my mood, neither did this date. I understood how complicated it was marrying someone you love but don't have that intense love for. I think most Indian women will fall in this category. I looked at the open sky, Neil had got me to such a peaceful and pretty place but it was not the date I expected. Infact when he said casuals I thought this was our standard movie day. "Ish you seem lost, missing me already?" Neil was being playful. I sipped my beer and ate the char roasted buttery chicken tikka stalling for some time. "Obviously, I will," this was so true, if only I could explain to him. "Listen I'm going to the loo, be back in a minute," he said and web GT towards the main dhaba complex. Suddenly I heard his phone ring, it said Rianna on impulse I picked up the phone, "Neil last night you forgot the closure date, quickly tell me I'm completing my papers," Rianna's sultry voice came. "Hi Rianna, Neil's in the Ioo. He will call you back," I replied coolly after all he was mine. "Hey Ishani, how ate you? Did you guys finally go out?" She asked in a happy tone that irritated me further. "It's an official one for our parents sake. How are you?" I asked softly. "Good! Listen we will catch up later. Work calls. Take care dear," she said and kept the phone as soon as I said bye. Anger surged in me. Was Neil marrying me for the sake of our parents? Because he liked his mother's first choice Rianna. I quickly scanned his call records and my heart fell, he was on the phone with her for all that time I was waiting for him. Waiting for him to finish work was okay but cheating with another woman is never okay. I wanted to kill him. Then I checked the timing and saw he had kept down her phone at 1 and he messaged me at 3 in the morning when I had cried myself to sleep. He had forgotten me, I was right about him. I saw him walking towards me, I kept the phone aside and looked at him. Suddenly I picked up my bottle of beer and finished it without breaking eye contact. I called the waiter, "beta you have something else I can drink?" "Madam we can get you anything you like from the wine shop next door," he replied. Neil was questioning me with his eyes. He could wait or be damned. "Get me a bottle of vodka," I opened my bad and gave him money. "Also get some coke, salt and lemons," I added. As Neil and asked me why we need vodka, I shrugged and lit a cigarette unknowing it will irritate him. I needed to obligate this hurt and just bear till today. After that I had a month to finalise what my plan was. I could run away from this man he was not Neil. Maybe our friendship was on a basic level and we did not go that deep. Fine we shared our aspirations, drinks but our day to day lives, his friends, his office were all unknown to me. Did Neil keep me out of all this?

Neil's face reflected thunder as I opened the bottle with cigarette in one hand and the little waiter staring at my hand. "Maybe you remember where are we?" He asked stonily. "Do you remember me Mr Singh?" I replied and that moment pocked the bottle and put it on my mouth. Neat alcohol should be labeled poison, it made me tear up with the burning sensation but I wanted to act cool so I picked up the Coke and had a few sips. He looked confused.

"Ish what's wrong? I went to the car to get you this. Mom has finalised a few plans for our room and I wanted your input about them," he picked up a file which had swatches. I swallowed the vodka again. Alcohol in my blood stream made me mad with anger. So I brazenly took a few more gulps before saying, "your room, your choice Neil." "Ish its ours," he was getting soft or I was too drunk but the hurt of being ignored was too much. "No one goes to barns on first dates, or takes their mother's projects with them. If its my room I will change when and how I want," I replied with a cringe worthy attitude. And took a few sips to continue with this courage. Neil looked hurt and confused, "let's go then, maybe we are meant to get married before dating. I'm sorry to bring you at such a bad place. Maybe I don't know you enough," he threw a few notes. I knew were too many but I did not care. I wrapped my shawl, picked my bottles and bag and proceed to the car. Once inside I knew I was getting drunk but I wanted to cry. In less than 10 days I had not only lost my virginity, my freedom but also my best friend. I was practically set to destroy my life and Neil's too. I took a big sip as Neil came to the car. Suddenly my phone rang. It was 9 in the night and my family, friends knew today was a do not disturb date. It was Andy, I picked. "Hello beautiful, you left office early." "Hey Andy, what's up?" I asked. "I was wondering if you remember the morning meeting tomorrow?" He asked. "Yes Andy, I do what's the issue." "Well the client wants us to meet him at 8 AM instead. Talk about overtime," he said. "What 8? Where?" "Well apparently this posh new hotel near your place called Kempenski. its a buffet breakfast meet so we can hog and meet him." Andy was so excited that I couldn't put the phone down. "Well ishani I need a favour," he continued. "Anything for friends, tell me Andy. " can you pick me up please? I will be there at the nearest metro station at 7.30 precisely." He was neat in asking a favour but I knew he did not have a car.

I kept the call down and was annoyed to see Neil stare at me with an angry gaze. "What's your problem Neil?" I couldn't mask my irritation. "Ohh nothing," and he snatched the bottle and threw it on the ground so it crashed, I never knew of his violent streak before. I should be throwing things, he can early forget me and he is the one acting hurt because I chose the vodka.

The drive back home was the worse ever. We did not talk, not that I wanted to. We were about to reach in a few minutes when Neil said, "Ish please don't block me out for small reasons, how do you think a relationship works?" I kept quiet. The moment we reached home I mumbled my answer, "or can work if toy stop lying. You forgot to come list night as I waited dressed in that fucking corset. Do you care? Rianna was on the phone last night? Well she told me. Also a bouquet by your driver when all you have to do is ring those chimes and I would have come. Have an awesome trip Mr Singh," I turned to unlock the door but he had centre locked them. I turned and he kissed me with a fiery passion, I could feel his sorry his anger and then he kissed me softly like he cared. I kissed him back as he held me. His kiss got intense, I was kissing him when someone knocked on the window. I shocked to see Neil's father, Neil looked at me sheepishly and riled the window down as I muttered my namaste and bowed my head down. "Namaste ishani beta. Neil a free show to the colony people is a bad idea. Get a room," he said and went back. I looked at Neil and we both laughed sheepishly. "Ish I cannot forget you. I was working last night and did not want to disturb your sleep," he said and opened the cars locking system and I got down.

As I returned home, my parents were waiting. "How did it go Ishani?" My mother never wastes time. "Great maa," I replied moving to the kitchen I needed water. "Ishani we have all decided that you both will get married in our native village and a big reception here." My mom went on about the plans that included going to Punjab in December starting with some 5 odd pre wedding rituals before a simple Gurdwara wedding and a grand reception. Maybe I needed to tell at work so that my leave could be finalised. For shopping I told mom we will hit Chandani Chowk every Saturday. But I kept the best bit for last, "maa my makeup, casuals I want to pick from Singapore. Neil has invited me one weekend." I saw the horror on her face and quickly added "I will stay at a hotel and meet him for some time. But we wanted to meet and a month seemed to long maa." Actually a month was horribly long. I wanted to hug Neil goodbye I would now meet him as his bride, whether we liked it or not.

"Ishani the wedding card designer will be here tomorrow morning before you leave for work. Can you please finalise it?" my father asked. "Papa I have an early morning meeting at 7.30. I will try and come home post that meet. So call the designer in the evening? I'm tired I'm going to my room now. The day had been tiring and I felt this need to clear up my self before Neil, so today I jumped over to his balcony and softly moved the wind chimes. Neil came out and stumbled into me, " Ishani all okay?" "I will miss you Neil," and I truly meant these words. He looked at me and pushed me inside his room and went to close the door. He then pushed me a bit roughly on his bed and we made love in a rough style. My need for him and the raw passion kept us going at it till dawn began to creep on us. "Neil I will miss these times too. But I have a surprise. I will come to Singapore for sure. Just tell me when it works for you. I will apply for a leave," I said holding hands with him in a post coilital bliss. Maybe we were best connected when we were having sex I wondered. "Ish you can stop working if you want. I earn well," he added sheepishly. "Neil as much as I would love to max out your cards, I love my work and money isn't the only reason." I looked at the time it was 6, "what time do you leave? I'm supposed to reach for a meeting by 8." Neil kissed me, " stay with me for a bit more. My flight is at 10. I will also leave home at about 8," he said and we both kissed again. Goodbyes were never easy.

Will Ishani & Neil sort things before he goes to Singapore? Also, do you think Rianna can create issues in their love story?