seventh - hopeless

DANIEL SANTIAGO IS rarely home.

He works as a chef in his own restaurant called Crystal Clear. He's been working in restaurants almost all his life once he graduated from college, studying culinary arts, obviously. And as years passed by, he met a cynical but adventurous woman named Delia.

In her flight attendant uniform, she dragged herself into the place he worked at that time, which was located somewhere in the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. And you know how the typical story went: they caught each other's attention and started talking, blah blah blah. He got her number, and they talked to each other almost every night since they couldn't see each other often due to their jobs. It was kinda hard as well since Delia constantly traveled to places, and timezones are a major pain in the ass.

But eventually, they made it through.

He was there when she talked about her first and only husband leaving her. Even then, he stayed. She talked about raising her one and only daughter after the divorce. Even then, he stayed. She talked about drowning her problems in alcohol and treating her child like shit for years before quitting. Even then, he stayed. She made him meet her impatient, rude, and hot-tempered daughter who goes by the name Louise.

Even then, he stayed.

And before Louise could even see it coming, he became her step-father.

She didn't like it one bit, but what could she do? She was only seven years old at that time. However, she had little hope that he could be the one to change her family. Her family that was built out of broken promises, harsh critiques, and detached feelings. Before Daniel came to her life, she lived with an almost absent father figure, and a mother who barely cared, and also would rather spend her spare time with her friends than her own daughter.

Til this day, Louise can't say that Daniel never tries. She sees his efforts. She notices his concerned facial expressions when he comes back home, and sees her awake late at night, surrounded with notes and books everywhere. She appreciates his little messages on the fridge when she wakes up, saying 'I cooked breakfast for you. Please eat before going to school. Love you, Lou.'

But it isn't enough.

She can't even remember a specific person who makes her feel all warm inside. Someone who gives her care. Someone who makes her feel important and good enough. Someone who makes her feel loved.

Her first father's definitely out of the list, because she can't clearly remember his face and his pictures are nowhere to be seen in the house. Her mother? The only thing she makes Louise feel is neglect. Daniel? After her accident, she feels nothing but discomfort towards him.

It's unfortunate that she only has memories of her mom, Daniel, and a few of her friends—more like only one or two.

Ah, Alison. Lovely little Alison Sanchez.

Alison's probably the only person who's close to making Louise feel loved. Sure, she loves how Alison's still by her side until now, but sometimes she thinks she's only there, because she feels pity for her. It's bad to think like this, but Louise can't help it. She can't even completely trust her. There's something Alison's hiding from her, and it's her past.

Normally, she wouldn't bother trying to figure out what happened. But it's different now.

Because this time, it involves Uriah Walter.

So screw with fresh starts, because now, she's going to find out what happened three years ago.

          ❄           ❄           ❄