Chap 9: A Little Lie for the Best of Friends

~Well I hope you liked last chappie! I know I had fun writing it! ~

"Alright. See you later than," he says. I nod and head to the common room. Inside the common room the boys (and Lily) wait, sitting at chairs around a table. There was a seat between Remus and Sirius so I took it. Remus put his arm around me as usual.

"You seem happy, what's up?" Remus asks. I shrugs with a small smile. They don't need to know about who I'm going with to the ball.

"Just happy, is that a problem with you?" I answer. He shakes his head. I giggle and kiss his cheek. "Well than good." I rest my head on his shoulder.

"Oh! James! We're going to the ball together right?" Lily asks. He looked at her, his mouth half open from telling a joke to Sirius.

"McGonagall is mean and is making me miss it thinking that I'll pull a bunch of pranks on everyone," he lies. I turn away from the hurt look on Lily's face. "I'm sorry, babe, I really am." I turn to peek at Lily's reaction. She looks like she wants to hit him. Or cry. Or both.

"I'll go with you though, Lily!" I suggests on impulse. She shakes her head and stands up. She goes to our dorm room. I look down at my hands. I know how she is feeling right now.  Even if I went up there to talk to her, nothing would come out of it. She wants to go with the one she truly love like I do. And just like me, she can't. I only settled with going with Severus because, honestly, I'm sick of being alone on full moon nights. Of course I understand why the others go anyways: to help Remus, but poor Lily doesn't. She's clueless about all this.

Suddenly a small . . . something sits on my head. I reach up and take it off, putting it in my lap instead. It's the pygmy owl from before. It has another roll for me. I take it and it flies to go sit by the roaring fire. I read it, though not aloud.

Dear Kitten,

I'm so glad you accepted. I hope you're as excited for the ball as I am. I'm sorry, though, that you cannot go with that werewolf you love so much for unknown reasons.

Love Always, S.

I smile a little at it. "You think you're so smart don't you," I say, tilting it towards my chest so the others can't see. I laugh to myself while the others look at me strangely.

"Well what was it this time?" Remus asks. He knows I hate it when somebody reads over my shoulder, especially when it was for me and not others to see.

"I'm going to the ball. Mum is sending me a dress," I lie. I can tell Remus can see through it but doesn't say anything. "She sent a letter trying to say that it was going to be a pink dress." I explain. James looks skeptical.

"When did you send her a letter telling her there was a ball? We only learned today that there was one. And you haven't left our sights," he questions.

"I did to leave your sights. I went to see Slughorn to which I quickly wrote a letter to mum!" I say. I smile a little, proud of myself for my quick thinking.

"Letters don't get sent that quickly though," Sirius says. He adds, "no matter how close they live." I send up with a huff.

I stutter around for words before finally saying, "You guys don't need to know everything!" I walk upstairs to my dorm before they could answer. The door squeaks as I open it.

"I don't want to talk!" Lily exclaims as I get on foot in the door. I jump a little.

"That's alright Lily. I just came up to write a quick letter then go to bed," I say. I shut the door behind me and walk to the desk we share with Alice and Mary. As I walk I notice Lily sit up from behind the closed curtains.

"You don't care that I'm upset?" she says. I laugh a little.

"Of course I do, but no matter what I say you won't feel better nor will you change your mind," I say. She opens the curtains around her bed.

"That's true," she says. I smile a little and head to the desk. "So who are you writing a letter to?"

"Two people: my mum and Snape. My mum because I'm going to see if she will send me a dress for the ball, and I'm sending one to Severus because he sent me a letter first," I answer.

"Oh," she mutters. "What did Snape want?" I look at her.

"Can I tell you without you telling the boys?" I ask. She nods with a small smile.

"Of course!"

"Well . . . I'm going to the ball with Severus!" I say with a grin.

"Instead of asking your mum for a dress, you can borrow one of mine if you want," Lily suggests. I get up and hug her.

"Thanks!" I giggle when I let her go and go to reply to Severus before bed.

Dear S,

Haha, nice sarcasm. But yes, I really am excited. I'm borrowing a dress of Lily's. She's pretty upset. We should dance with her tomorrow!

Love, K.

I smile, roll it up, and walk to my snow owl that lives in my room. I can't seem to get it to stay in the owlery so we deal with it here. I give my little roll and tell him to take it to Severus. It hoots and leaves through the window. I smile and walk to my trunk. I change into pajamas with teddy bears on them before curling up and going to sleep.

During the next week Severus and I send notes and such every now and then. I was happy that Lily was letting me borrow a dress. I hadn't looked through her dresses before the day of the ball.

Come Saturday night, I still hadn't been through her dresses. Lily was with me in our dorm room; our room mates were already downstairs with their dates. She helps me pick out a perfect dress. She pulls out a long, flowing, green dress. I smiles at her and put it on.

I grin as I look in the mirror. "It looks great on you Kit!" she says. I turn with a giggle.  "Want me to help you with your hair?" I nod.

"Yes, please," I say. She nods and walks over in her own, red, dress that goes to under her knees. She puts my hair into a princess braid before curling the ends of my hair. I smile at her and give her a bug hug before doing my makeup. I put dark green eye shadow with black eye liner on and a sparkly-clear lip-gloss. I knew Severus would love it! I get a pair of black flats with a green bow on the toes from my trunk. I quickly put them on. I looked at Lily to see if she was ready.

She was wearing her red dress, her hair had been curled and put in a ponytail with strands hanging out, and for shows she wore red heels. I despise those heels. That's the kind that makes you fall and break your head. Her eyes were semi-surrounded by eyeliner, mascara on her eyelashes, and a deep red on her lips and eyelids. I smile at her. "You look beautiful!" I exclaim. She smiles with a small blush coloring her cheeks.

"Thank you, so do you!" she replies. I grab her hand.

"Let's go!" I say. We laugh and head down to the common room then down to the Great Hall where the ball awaits!

~ This chapter is kinda boring, and shorter than the norm, I know. The next chappie will. Be. Great!!!!!!!! I promise! Well I hope it's great at least! ~ <3