12. Maternità

© Kelly Faulk 2012

Chapter 12:  Maternità

What happened?  Where was I?  Was my baby safe?

My breathing was uneasy, but at least I was still breathing.  My senses came back to me slowly, hearing and touch first.  I was on a bed, and I could hear that a heart monitor was beeping.  Its tempo was the same as my heart.  My sight was last, and when I opened my eyes, I saw that I was in my room and my angel.

“Oh, Sera,” he whispered as he kissed me.  “I thought I’d lost you….”

He was holding something; I couldn’t see it because it was bundled up.

He noticed, and moved aside some of the blanket.  I could only see a sweet looking face that made my heart ache.  “It’s a girl,” he breathed, a smile on his face.

We had a daughter?  As I sat up, I weakly said, “Give her to me.”

He carefully placed her in my awaiting arms.  She was sound asleep, and looked almost exactly like her father.  I removed the blanket from her head, and found that she had gotten more from her father.  “Is she a Healer also?” I asked him.

“No.”

“But then, why….” I paused to remove the rest of the blanket.  Instead of feathery or bat or ice or leafy or light wings, she had blue—the same shade of her father’s eyes—butterfly wings.  “What is she?”

“I had Halrot go do some research in the Archives; it’s under the main Chamber room.  Apparently, she is a Tutto Rabbia, a Rage of Everything.  And, if one is born, they take the physical traits of the father.  From what we gathered, for now on, if a Tutto is born in our line, it will have blonde hair and blue eyes and blue butterfly wings.”

I smiled at him before looking down at my daughter.  A daughter.  A little girl.  That would be a daddy's girl, hopefully.  “Wait…has-has Kiefer noticed?”

“No.  We haven’t let him see all of her, just in case.  W-We don’t even know what her name is.”

I looked back to my sleeping daughter.  I had thought of so many names over the months, but none of them fit her now that she was here.  So, I thought hard about all of the names I looked at.  “Neveah Kari Ambgel.”

“That’s very pretty,” he softly said as he stroked her honey curls.  “But as far as Kiefer knows, she has his last name,” he said with disgust.

“Speaking of, where is he?”

“He went to visit his parents, tell them about the news.  He’s been calling in every so often to check up on you.  Halrot is still at the Chamber.”

I was very thankful to be alone with my family.  Though this was a very happy moment, I saw sadness go across his face.  “W-What is it?”

“I know who the third person is.”

I stared at him.  I had a feeling.

“It’s Ulrich.  You were supposed to die, Sera, and he came to take your soul.”

“But, you saved me.”  It was the only logical thing I could think of.

“Yes, and I nearly died in the process.”

What?!  “How?”

“I used a lot of my powers to keep his out of you, and I had to get Halrot to Heal me so I could pick you up.  Before he left, he told me that he’d return to take you.”   He sighed.  “Only Luka can call off a kill, and I’m not sure if she will or not.  Maybe she will if we tell her that Neveah can’t grow up without you or something like that.”