3. Kiefer

© Kelly Faulk 2012

Chapter 3:  Kiefer

Bette was due in May. Her man, Karl, was madly in love with her, as well as his daughter, Dolfie. They looked like they were already a family. Dolfie even called Bette "mama." I was glad she was happy.

I still continued my search of finding someone. After I would meet someone, I would go on one date with them, and that was it. I was turning into Bette, somewhat. I really didn't want it to be that way.

And I still felt like Uriel was following me. Only, I now thought that I was hearing him whisper my name in my ear, but when I turned, no one was there, as usual. This was creeping me out.

On an upside, on Valentine's Day, Bette told us that she was having a boy. His name was to be Alain. Since she didn't know who his father could possibly be, he was to have her last name.

Another happy moment was when Karl proposed to her. I was truly happy for her, but it was a hard feeling to encompass. I hadn't felt it in so long.

When Uriel's birthday came, I called in sick to work, and cried my heart out. Bruto didn't know what to do, so he stayed on his bed. To make things worse, Demitri showed up again to try and get another date with me. Bruto saw that I was upset with Demitri, and growled at him. Demitri did not take my dog seriously, and ended up getting bitten again. After the police came again, they let me off with another warning; Demitri told them that it was his fault again, not mine or Bruto's. That was the final straw for me.

The following day, I didn’t renew my monthly lease.  Then, I had to search for somewhere else to live that would allow pets. I moved into an apartment closer to work two weeks later, but made sure Demitri didn't see me while I moved; I really did not want him following me. Life went on as usual after that, and that annoying man thankfully had no idea where I was.

There were some good things happening in my life, thank goodness.  I was promoted to chef the day after I had moved. That's when I met him.

He had brownish black hair and light brown eyes, he was a little bit taller than me, and he was absolutely handsome in dark casual work clothes. I knew that if Bette wasn't pregnant and engaged, she'd probably have him all for herself.

He lived on the same floor as me, and he greeted me as I was taking Bruto out to use the bathroom.

"Hi. I'm Kiefer." Like every other guy, he held out his hand.

I shook it and said, "Sera. This is Bruto."

Surprisingly, Bruto didn't growl at him.  Maybe my talks with him worked?

"So, did you just move in," he asked as we walked.

I nodded. "Yesterday."

"Do you need showing around the city?  Learn where everything is?"

My heart fluttered when he smiled.  "No, thank you. I've lived here almost all my life. I only came here to get away from this guy...."

Why was I telling a complete stranger this?

"Stalker?" he pondered.

"Not really. Just very…persistent.  He wants me to go out with him. I've been telling him no since October."

"Wow. He must really like you." He held the door open for us.

"No. He just wants to take me to his house. I don't know how many times I told him I'm not like that."

"Oh. I see."

I softly laughed at his expression.  "Bruto's attacked him twice now."

"Did you force him to?"