9. Gravidanza

© Kelly Faulk 2012

Chapter 9:  Gravidanza

"One down,” I whispered.

“What?” Elmark snapped at me.

“I said ‘one down’.  You know that I’ll rule after Luka dies.”

“Yes, I do.”

“Sera said she—”

“Bette!”

“What?”

Uriel and I gave her a long stare.

“‘Sera said she’ what?”

“I said that I’d need help in learning how to rule all of you.”

Elmark gave me a devilish glare before turning back to Alain.  “You know that if Luka finds out about you two, you’d be in a lot of trouble?” he asked.

“And you won’t?”

“I guess you’ve got a point.”

With Lurch gone, it all depended on Luka.  She was only ninety-five; she still had a maximum of five more years.  Five years Uriel and I did not have.  We needed her gone before our baby was born.

“Do Halrot and Kiefer know about Lurch’s death?" I asked him.

“Not that I know of.”

“Okay.  Come on, Uriel.”

We left the small family so we would go tell Halrot and Kiefer of the loss.  It was a loss to everyone else except for me and my angel.  While we were in the air, he suddenly grabbed me so we could dance as we flew.  This was like my dream I had so long ago.

We continued our dance into the mountains.  My face felt like it was stuck in a smile, and so did Uriel’s.  But, we had to force our grins to go away before we got home.  That was very hard for us to do, but we somehow were able to manage.

We landed on the wooden deck, and walked into the living room to find Halrot sitting on the couch, reading.  Kiefer must be upstairs.  “Halrot, we’ve got some news,” I said.

“What is it?”

“Lurch passed last night,” Uriel finished.

“Really?  That’s good…kind of.  Do you think Luka will pass before the baby’s born?”

“Baby?  Who’s having a baby?”

Kiefer was walking down the stairs as he spoke.  Why did Halrot have to open up her big mouth?

“Uh…I am…” I spoke up…sadly.

His eyes widened.  “Wha-What?”

I kept the tears at bay.  “I’m almost a month along.  Tiliea came to me last night, and told me.”  This was only somewhat of a lie.  I looked at my husband out of the corner of my eye.  His face was expressionless, but I knew that he was very upset.  I was, too.  “She also said that I’m due in May.”

“Wait…isn’t it supposed to be July?”

“No.  Rage pregnancies are two months shorter than human ones,” Halrot explained.  “I’ve been studying almost everything in the medical field.  I’ve got to be ready for anything.”

Kiefer gave her a long stare, then switched it to me.  He slowly came over to me, like he was in a daze, and took me in his arms.  I heard Uriel stomp up the stairs before Kiefer gave me a kiss.

I wanted to go comfort Uriel, so I quickly pulled away, hand over my mouth.  I acted like I was going to throw up, and ran up the stairs, to Uriel’s room.  To play along with it, I went to the bathroom, and sat on the floor.