4. Angel

© Kelly Faulk 2012

Chapter 4:  Angel

Kiefer took me out to do something different every night for the week of my birthday.  The big day was on Saturday, so he started his special treatment Sunday evening.

I wasn’t even sad about the fact that it had been a year since Uriel had left.  I was way over it, and was now hoping that he wouldn’t return.  I had Kiefer now and I was happy, so why should I still be upset about all of it?

Saturday was my big day.  He bought me some cute little stuff to put around my apartment, surprising me with them when I woke up the morning of.  He and Bette had planned a small party that afternoon.  I was to have my first drink of alcohol from a bottle of wine.

It tasted sweet, and I loved it, drinking most of the bottle Bette had gotten.  I’d have to try different things to see what I liked.  And, I could cook with it too.  This could be fun.

That night, Kiefer told me that we were going to take it a little slow by going to a little bar to hear a new band play.  He said that they would take requests, which was very enticing.  I made a playlist in my head of songs I wanted to hear as we walked there.

I could hear a song that I recognized being played before Kiefer opened the door for me.  But something was strange.  Why did that voice sound so familiar?

Kiefer led me straight to the bar when we got in.  He got a bottle of beer while I got a fruity drink, then we sat down at a table close to the door.  The band was still playing, and the lyrics caught my attention.

That’s when I took a good look at the band.  The singer had a dark cherry colored guitar.  Why was it familiar to me?  That’s when I actually looked at the person playing it.  He had honey blonde hair and deep blue eyes.  And those eyes…were staring right at me.

Those eyes…belonged to Uriel.

He returned, like he said he would.  I had to force myself to look away from him as tears welled up, as memories flooded my mind.  I took a long drink from my glass as Kiefer asked, “What’s wrong, Sera?  You look pale.”

Before I could answer, I finished off my glass, and requested another.  The song ended, and they immediately another, clearly backed up with requests since they didn't ask anyone what they wanted to hear.

I sighed, and whispered, “That’s my ex,” after I got my second drink.

“Which one?”

“The singer.  Uriel.  I haven’t seen him in a year.  To the day, too.”  I drank some more, the only way I could handle my emotions right now without running.  Kiefer looked uncomfortable sitting across from me, and this was supposed to be a gift to me.

“Why?  What happened?”

“He just left.  That’s the reason why I sold my inn.  He’s the one who gave me Bruto.”

That song eventually faded into two more.  The whole time, Uriel stared at me.  The panic and sadness flared up in me.  I stared at my drink before I lifted the glass to my lips again, draining it, while I felt his and Kiefer’s eyes on me.  I needed another, something stronger.  I wanted to forget about everything except the person in front of me.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Uriel switch his acoustic guitar for an electric.  The song that followed made me feel like he was singing it to me.  Now, other people in the café noticed that Uriel was staring at me, so they did the same.  It made me feel trapped.

Then, Uriel said, “Sir, do you have any requests to make?”  He was talking to Kiefer.  His voice sounded calm, like he wasn’t mad or upset…like I was.