11. Guarigione Rabbia

© Kelly Faulk 2012

Chapter 11:  Guarigione Rabbia

“Sera?”  Her eyes were closed, and I just noticed that her breathing was minimal.  I didn’t want to worry anyone, so I tried to stay calm.  Halrot was cleaning off my baby, and I could still hear its protests about being away from Sera’s warmth.  As Kiefer made his way over to them, I said to Halrot, “Wrap it up in a blanket; it’s freezing in here.”

I sent several Healing orbs into Sera, but she didn’t move.  Was her blood pressure still too high, causing her to pass out?  We were different from humans, so ailments acted differently with us.  I sent more orbs into her.  Nothing.

Then, I felt cold; all of the blood seemed like it left my body.  Was I too late?  Did I take too long to Heal her?  I didn’t hold back when tears formed.

“Uriel, Halrot, I’m going to go tell my parents.  Can you take care of everything?” Kiefer asked us.  He wasn’t even concerned about the condition my wife was in….

I nodded as Halrot said, “Yes.”

After he left, she came over to me.  “What’s wrong with her?”

“I don’t know.  She’s not waking up.”  A few more orbs.  “Go upstairs.  Come get me if there’s any trouble.”

“O-Okay.”

As she took my child upstairs, I took one of my wife’s hands.  Her skin felt cold on my lips.  A tear escaped my eye as I felt that someone was watching me.

Sera’s eyes were still closed, so it wasn’t her.  But sitting on my couch was the last person I wanted to see.  Ulrich.

“No.  No!  You can’t take her from me!” I yelled at him when I realized why he was here.

He sighed.  “I’m sorry, Uriel, but you can’t save her.”

He slowly lowered his hood, so I looked back to my motionless wife.  I conjured up so many orbs and sent a continuous stream into her.  Ulrich snickered as I felt his presence inside of her.

“There’s no point in it, Healer.  It’s her time to go.”

“I won’t let you take her from me!” I snarled at him.

As I sent my orbs into her, I felt my energy leaving me.  He snickered again.  I couldn’t let him take either of us, leaving my child to go to that bastard Sera had Changed.  I couldn’t allow that to happen.

After twenty minutes, I sunk to my knees, exhausted.  The only thing I thought of was, “I have to save her, I have to save her….” My orbs slowed down, my energy depleting as it became harder for me to breathe.

That’s when I heard Halrot scream.  “Get over here and Heal,” I gasped at her.

After a moment, I felt an orb being sent into me.  It felt good for a second.  Maybe I could Heal Sera, and Halrot could Heal me.

Then, what seemed like an eternity later, Sera took a deep breath.  Her eyes didn’t open, though.  I smiled at Ulrich’s defeat.

“Now…get the hell…out of my…house,” I breathed.

I heard him groan and put his hood up before he left.  Halrot was crying.  “Was she…?”

“Yes.  Is everything okay upstairs?”

“I can’t get ‘em to go to sleep.”

“Okay.  Send some more orbs into me so I can carry her upstairs.”

As she did so, she said, “You can’t put her in your bed; Kiefer might be back soon.”

“I know that,” I softly countered as I gently cradled my comatose wife in my arms.  “Go ask Luka to call off Ulrich, and tell her about the birth.  I’ve got everything under control.”

She nodded.  “But, there’s something with the baby—”

“Go look it up in the Archives.  I’ll call you if I figure it out myself.”

“Okay,” she whispered as she left and I climbed up the stairs.

I could hear our baby’s cries as I got closer to Sera’s room, making me smile.  The baby was crying because it was scared, didn’t know what was going on; but I smiled because its cries meant it was healthy.  I’d have some much needed alone time with my young family since that bastard was gone.

I laid Sera down on her bed and gently pulled the covers up to her neck before I went down to get the heart monitor and oxygen.  I hooked it all up to her, gave her a soft kiss, and went over to the crib Sera had bought about a month ago.

A smile came to my lips again when I looked at our child.  The blanket had fallen, revealing its hair.  I slowly picked up the tiny bundle, and swaddled the babe again, making sure it stayed warm.  The cries ceased almost as soon as I sat in the rocking chair we bought about along with the crib.

I looked back and forth from my sleeping child to my sleeping wife, glad that I had these two beautiful people in my life.