Chapter 23~ Zen

Chapter Twenty-Three~ Zen [Allen]

​On the morning of the Fourth of July my parents left for their anniversary trip. They had decided to depart at the early hour of 6 a.m. Mother fashioned an azure summer dress which ran to the length of her knee. Dad was in his usual undershirt and pullover with slacks ensemble. His clothes matched Mother's in color, and I knew she had planned it that way. Mother left her personal black suitcase by the door as she eased opened Kaiser's door. She crept in and gave a small kiss on my brother's snoozing cheek. As dad went in to ruffle Kaiser's hair, Mother approached me. "Take care of him Zen." She gave me a quick peck on the cheek as she planted something papery in my hand. I looked down to see a hundred dollar bill. She walked downstairs while her suitcase bobbed over each step with a muffled thump from the carpet. I didn't know if I was more surprised by her sudden display of affection or the size of the bill she had just given me.

Dad came from out of Kaiser's room and gave me a pat on the shoulder. He gave me a hug before gripping my empty hand tight and leaving something behind. I looked down to see another hundred dollar bill. "You're in charge around here while we're gone. Make sure the house is well kept and your brother doesn't do anything stupid, well more stupid than he normally would."

I didn't know if the parents had intended on each giving me one hundred dollar bills, but I wasn't going to question it. I quietly slipped the bill Mother had given me into my back pocket while holding up the bill Dad had given me. "Thanks."

"I know I don't have to tell you to use it wisely, it will probably end up in the bank anyways. You should try doing something fun with it."

I gave him a devious look.

"Not anything illegal." He added hastily.

I gave a quiet laugh. "Of course not, the only craziness this will see is toward my college funds."

"Hey at least I'll have one rich son I can bum money off of in the future."

Before I could respond I heard Mother call out. "The taxi is here Magnum."

"Coming, Adrienne." He answered before picking up his personal suitcase as well as their gigantic shared one.

I wrestled the large piece of baggage out of his hand and drug it down the stairs after me. "What's in this?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"The kitchen sink, probably."

Mother reappeared in the doorway. "I heard that."

Dad and I hauled the luggage out to the yellow cab and managed to shove the big suitcase into the trunk with some added effort from the cabby. Mother and Dad said their final goodbyes, and then they were headed down the road to the airport, and I wouldn't see them for two and a half weeks, which pleased me. I didn't bother waving at them through the back of the window; it felt childish. Instead I turned heel and went to Cheyda's house. I knew she needed some emotional support now more than ever.

Even though Cheyda had had such an adverse reaction to finding out Sharon had died, and the thought of Rebirthing freaked her out, I remained determined to move all four of us in the direction of Rebirthing. When Jacobi and Lupe had found a note about Talia being returned after all four of us Rebirthed, I knew that it was something we needed to do soon. Although the thought of dying by way of earth sounded painful, it did not deter me from seeking out answers about the Rebirthing process. If nothing else, it was worth the possibility of returning Talia to her family.

I had approached Kiyoshi, Carter, and Reggie about it, seeing as how Aiden was not an Elemental I doubted he knew the specifics of what it was like to Rebirth. They were even more hesitant than usual, perhaps keeping in mind the fact that I now knew about Sharon. Carter continually insisted we talk about it at a later time, and I could only oblige him for so long. The more they brushed me off the more impatient, and resolute I became.