chapter 5

Chapter 5

-Rebecca’s point of view-

I could not believe my tired and sleepy eyes. It was 1 am in the morning and there he was drenched but smiling. I suddenly became alert as I remembered what I was wearing. I let out a little shriek and ran to hide behind the door. He was confused at first then he gave out the most charming and smooth laugh I’d ever heard. It sent chills down my spine.

‘Can I come in? It’s freezing or are you just going to stare at me from behind your door?’ he was clearly amused by this situation. I could tell by the stupidly sexy smirk he wore on his face. God, I did not just say that. Ugh what does he want from me at such an ungodly hour.

‘What are you doing here Mr Jackson? I’m not in the mood right now and it’s definitely not the best time for you to just go around smirking at people.’ His smirk fell off his face when I called him Mr Jackson. He clearly wasn’t pleased that I’d done that.

‘It’s alexander or Xander. Please call me by that next time. I’m sorry if I’m disturbing you I know it’s late but my car keys weren’t with me and I decided to walk home then it started raining and I remember that Clarissa told me were you lived so I found myself near your apartment building, I asked around for you and then I came here. I am really sorry if this inconvenienced you in anyway.’

‘Oh, u-uh, please come in. maybe uh, maybe you could stand near the fire place to warm up and dry and uh, maybe I could um get you a cup of coffee or something… you don’t have to if don’t uh… want to…’ gosh why can’t I get out a single sentence without going dumb and going all ooh and ah for him. Ugh, it’s so irritating. I led him in through my small but cosy living room; remind me to kill Clarissa when next I see her. How could she just give my address to anyone like it was a piece of chocolate that she didn’t want anymore? She had no right to do that. Ugh she can be so annoying at times.

‘Uh, stay right here I’ll go get you a blanket so you don’t freeze to death…’

‘Thank you Rebecca.’

‘It’s okay.’

And with that I left the room. I went to my closet and searched for my spare blanket. I really didn’t know why he hadn’t just gone home directly instead of going through the stress of getting directions to my apartment.

When I walked back into the living room I just had to freeze. He was standing shirtless with his back to me. I could see the muscles in his back moving when he stretched. Although it was a sight to see I also felt very annoyed at how comfortable he was getting in my house. He wanted to use me as business deal didn’t he?  I was so confused at the moment the only thing I could do was scream at him.

‘WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! Are you crazy, do you just go into people’s houses and remove your shirt while they get stuff for you!?’

He looked so scared at the sound of my voice, well…  I guess he wasn’t expecting that. At all. He was staring at me wide eyed and then he let out a curse word so quietly that if I wasn’t listening I wouldn’t have heard it.

‘Do you scream at people in drenched shirts?’ he asked, the irritation was small but evident in his voice as he shook his hand in the air like it was hurt. I dropped the blanket and walked to him, as I came closer his eyes softened at me and I reach out for his hand and brushed my hand on his bare chest, it was a beautiful sight to see, he was lean and muscular and so handsome I could have died. I looked at his hand to see a big bruise from where he had burnt himself, I suddenly felt really bad for screaming at him.

‘Oh, I’m so sorry Xander, I was just freaking out a bit, none of my visitors ever just come in and start taking off their shirts…’I was blushing now, I really overreacted because I saw him shirtless, damn I’m so innocent. It’s like I’d never seen a shirtless guy before.

‘It’s ok; really you just gave me a fright there. So… coffee?’

‘Um, yeah…. The first aid is in the kitchen.’ I motioned for him to follow me and I turned the coffee maker on and took some disinfectant and plasters and went to patch up his burn. As I rubbed the disinfectant on, I noticed that he was staring at me. After I finished with the plasters he was still staring at me so I looked up at him.

His eyes were a soft greyish blue colour that some people would mistake for really pale blue. In fact they were a bit blue. I couldn’t decide, he is gorgeous and he’s looking at me for some weird but flattering reason. We just stayed there looking into each other’s eyes. Even when he was sitting down he was taller than me. Then quite too soon the coffee maker beeped signalling that the coffee was ready.

I looked away as fast as I could and went to fetch mugs, he had stood up and was scratching the back of his head nervously. He was so cute, he had a slight blush on his cheeks, but I was as red as a tomato.

Damn, I’ve been doing a lot of blushing today, I haven’t felt like this in years not since Derek left me. I was slowly starting to feel the feelings I had for Derek fade away and I could feel myself falling fast for Xander. I couldn’t believe that he had gotten to me this fast.

‘Uh… so um… how come you don’t live with your parents anymore?’ I was shocked to hear him ask me that. I certainly didn’t want to talk about how it was because of Derek that I’d moved.

‘Personal reasons’ was all I said. I didn’t want him to know about Derek, I didn’t want him to see that I still had feeling or Derek even though they are fading fast. Thanks to him…

‘It’s ok if you don’t want to tell me, really…’ I knew he was guilt tripping me into telling him but I couldn’t help it. He looked kind of hurt that I didn’t want to tell him and it tugged at my heart to see him like that.

‘Fine… it all started on my 17th birthday. Well sort of after it. Clarissa and I went out to get a few drinks even though it was illegal… we went to a night club and then… then we danced with guys. That’s where I met Derek, my first boyfriend…’

The night went on till I’d finished telling him how much it hurt me when Derek left. Remembering it all brought back some painful memories and I was in tears by the time I was done.

‘…so I left my parents to fend for myself because I didn’t believe that just because he wasn’t of 1st class background, that we weren’t meant to be together… but I was naïve then, I’ll never make that mistake in my life… I’ve learned from my mistakes…’

He didn’t say anything he just stood up, walked over to me and hugged me, tightly… I hate to admit it but I really needed that. He pulled back and I instantly felt cold, he was looking at me now and then he said something that I didn’t expect him to at all…

‘Just know that if you decide to give me a chance, I will never ever leave your side. He was stupid to do that and if I ever meet him. I’ll kill him for making you cry…’ I looked into his eyes and I saw determination in them, he was serious about it and I couldn’t help but feel flattered.

Then he kissed me… and I let myself kiss him back…