Chapter 13 - Joining?

Lance's POV:

Lance awoke to the painfully loud creaking of a door opening and closing somewhere close by. He sat straight up holding his head where he'd been struck and let out a groaning noise as light hit his eyes blocking out the characteristics of whoever was in front of him. Lance covered his eyes from the light and laid back down on the bed curling up so as to let whoever it was in front of him know that he didn't want to be bothered.

They however, didn't have any intention of leaving him alone. Lance felt a second weight fall beside him followed by a hand delicately laying itself on his shoulder. That had been enough to spark Lance's curiosity, he turned over expecting to see Sister Mary or maybe even Eve's teacher Rayne, but instead he found himself looking up at Maria's face. Lance shot up from the bed now fully aware of the sounds and smell of the ocean right next to them and also of the danger he was facing should Maria's father catch them.

"Maria what're you- How did I- When did-" Lance couldn't get out a single sentence as of now due to his fear of her father catching him in her small little cabin. Maria's father Merrick was not a very understanding man, and Lance knew that should he find Lance in Maria's house, in her bed that there would be some serious hell to pay. With that in mind Lance got out of her bed nearly falling again from dizziness but managed to keep himself up as he shuffled into his shirt that had somehow been removed. "Maria, how'd I get here?"

"Me and my friend Kayla found you laying in an ally after we came running towards the sound of you howling." Maria said with a tone that almost spoke of sadness to Lance as he made a move to leave. "Are you leaving?"

Lance couldn't help but hesitate while turning the handle on the door when he heard how hurt she sounded. He lowered his head and slowly removed his hand from the handle before turning back to her and suddenly noticing how vulnerable she looked right now. She was holding onto her upper arm and refused to look him in the eye letting her long brown hair fall in front of one of her eyes. Lance let out a sigh and cursed himself for developing feelings for her as he brushed the hair away from her eye.

"What's wrong?" Lance asked in a soft voice as he moved slightly closer but Maria still wouldn't look at him, so to make her ease up he slowly took her into his arms pulling her completely into him. "You can tell me Maria, you know that you can tell me anything right?"

That must've been enough to break whatever it was that was holding her tongue because Maria took drew in a sharp gasp before throwing her arms around Lance's neck, squeezing him tighter than he was expecting and nearly choking him. He didn't mention it however, he simply held her and would do so as long as she needed to which was about five minutes. When finally she was ready to speak it was barely even a whisper. "He was feeding on you-"

"Who?" Lance pulled the girl away so he could look her in the eye and saw that they were watering as if she was barely able to stop the oncoming tears. He gave her a little shake to see if she'd talk after that but she didn't which only made Lance get even more curious about what she meant. "Who was feeding on me?" Still nothing. "Maria!"

"A vampire was feeding on you." Lance heard an unfamiliar voice say from the window's direction. He whipped his head to the side when he heard Maria let out a slight hissing noise and saw a pale and very lengthy boy leaning in the open window. He had unnaturally blue eyes that seemed like they were looking right through you and he had smile on his face that said that he was used to getting his way. "Ain't that right love, a vampire was the one you saw in the alley with him?"

Lance took note of the boy's canines being quite a bit longer than the should've been and he instinctively put himself between the boy and Maria. "Who are you?"