Chapter 9 -- Challenges

Are you kidding me! Those are the words that ran through Jake's head when he saw that it was Issac that he'd be escorting around the school. Since when does a vampire go to school? And why the hell is he even able to walk around during the day time? These were the questions that Jake wanted and needed answered right now because he had the sneaking suspicion that Issac had something to do with this Constantine vampire.

Despite his suspicions though, Jake wouldn't be able to do anything right now while they were in school. For now he'd have to play it cool and just see what Issac did, though he had a feeling that he was going to regret this soon enough. But rather then show even Eve that he knew who Issac really was Jake put on his fake personality and shook Issac's hand with a smile.

"Hi Issac," He said making sure that he looked directly into the other boy's eyes as he spoke. "Nice to meet you. Name's Jake, and I'll definitely take good care of you."

"Glad to hear it." Issac said still using an over exaggerated British accent. "I'm sure we'll get along just fine then."

"Hey Jake I'm going to go get some food then, I'll see you in Chem." Eve waved her goodbye without giving Jake a chance to respond to her leaving.

Jake waved her off before telling the principal that he'd be glad to escort Issac around, but mainly just so that he'd be able to get the other boy alone and figure out what he wanted. Much to his surprise, Issac agreed to follow him without even a second thought. He really isn't worried about what I'll do to him if we should ever be alone, Jake thought as he led the way out of the front office. Automatically he started walking down the hallway taking the long way around so as to avoid going towards the cafeteria, and all the while Issac followed with a smile on his face and carrying some books like any other student would.

Once the two of them reached the part of the hall that Jake knew no cameras existed, he spun around and grabbed Issac by the collar of his shirt and slammed him into the nearest wall. "What's your game?" He demanded in a very threatening voice.

"Why Jake whatever could you mean?" Issac asked innocently and batted his eyes at Jake. "I've done nothing wrong, I'm only trying to go to school and further my education-"

"Shut the hell up and quit the innocent student act Issac." Jake might have punched the vampire to show him just how serious he was being but decided against it. "Why are you in my school."

"Why else would I be? I'm here to learn same as you." That did it. Jake's fist flew up faster than he knew he could have and caught Issac square on the jaw, and for the tiniest hint of a moment Jake saw the vampire's blue eyes flash with anger. And yet, when he turned to look at him the only thing Jake saw was a plain face with a smile. "Jake, I don't know if you know this, but we vampires live quite a long time. I'm one of those kind that likes to stay up to date on the latest methods of doing things. You humans seem to love coming up with all sorts of complex problems for math and science its a wonder-"

"Who's Constantine?" Jake cut in and at the mere mention of the name Issac was silenced and there was definitely a change going through his features.

Though whether it was anger or fear Jake couldn't be sure because it was gone as quick as it had come. One thing was certain though, Issac knew the name. Not even vampires in all their years of life are able to conceal the signs of recognition entirely. Issac though was rather good because his signs came and went so fast that if Jake had blinked he for sure would've missed it. Issac's feature's were hardened in an instant and he glared down at Jake before speaking.

"May I ask where you heard that name?" There wasn't any accent in his voice now, not even the faint hint that was there the first time they met. His voice was cold and flat now, with a face and eyes  that reflected the same emptiness in which he spoke. "Where did you hear that, name?"