Chapter 4 -- Impressions

Jake and the others got up from their booth to head outside, even though they all knew it would probably be safer inside but they couldn't risk people being drawn into a fight if one should break out so outside was best. Jake was still on his toes looking outside of the McDonald's windows to see if there were anyone trying to leave in a hurry. All Beings were fast, but they weren't so fast that they couldn't be tracked. But despite his trained eye scanning the place he couldn't see any sign of a Being trying to escape.

"They're still around here," Jake said just before the three of them exited the fast food place. Lance raised his head up and began to inhale deeply through his nose searching for any unusual scents. "That must not taste very good."

"It didn't," Lance said wiping his nose. As a werewolf it's obvious that his sense of smell is heightened far beyond that of a human's. That being said it's not exactly a good thing because when he needs to sniff someone out he tends to inhale the gases from the cars and buildings nearby which can take away his sense of smell completely. "But you're right I got a scent. There's a bloodsucker nearby."

"Can you tell which way?" Jake asked and received a glare from his friend.

"I am not taking another whiff, we'll just have to look around," Lance began and in a slightly harsher tone he added. "You're the one with a sensor why don't you scan around."

Rolling his eyes at his friend's tone Jake did as he was told by fishing his Sensor out of his back pocket and began to sweep the doorway. As he did this a thought came to him that suddenly made him feel foolish for doing this. "Sensor won't do any good since you two are here and backing off a few feet isn't going to help," Jake said putting his Sensor back in his pocket. "You've been here too long it'll pick up on you either way."

"Dammit," Lance said balling his hands up in a very tight fist before turning to Eve. "What about you? Got and voodoo that'll help us track this bloodsucker?"

Eve shot Lance a glare but shook her head in response. "Only works if I have something personal of theirs or if I knew who they were." She said in a very high-horsed sort of way. "Since we don't meet neither of the demands we're screwed."

This is why werewolves don't like witches, they always spoke down to them like they were nothing but dogs. Jake knew that Eve didn't mean to talk down to Lance like this but it must've just been something in her nature as well that made her do this. Witches were probably the closest Beings to humans in terms of nature since they didn't loose control of themselves at night, or fed on humans like the others did. And although werewolves were more or less at the top of the food chain of Beings thanks to their strength and speed. All of the other Beings looked down on them due to their lack of control and downright savage behavior at time.

If there's anything that the Twilight books have gotten right, it's that most vampires live luxuriously thanks to a mass of wealth that they can amass over their longs lives. Witches had practically nothing to hide from the world since the only thing they had to worry about was letting their emotions getting out of hand. Whereas werewolves need to stay on the move or risk losing their tempers and hurting someone. Now that Jake thought about this, the Beings weren't all that different. They all had emotion problems, whether it be the lack of or too much, but either way they all had some serious emo issues. Jake looked at Eve and was glad that witches couldn't read minds because he'd probably be Tamica again if she just heard him call her emo. 

"Alright then," Jake began taking a deep breath as he prepared to give orders, something he sincerely hated. "Lance you search around out here, Eve and I are going to go check the bathrooms. If they're here then the only place they could be is in the bathroom. Only place that has some shelter against the sun."