fifteen

"Rose... Rosalie, hey. Psst." I heard in a hushed tone. I peel my eyes open and see Grayson standing over me, his finger pressed to his lips telling me to be quiet. I furrow my eyebrows at him and he points to where Aphrodite is snoring softly on the cot in the corner. He nods and beckons for me to follow him. I climb out of the bed quietly, following him outside of the tent.

Once we're outside, I realize how little I'm wearing. This silk nightgown gives no shelter from the icy wind. I cross my arms over my chest, goosebumps racing across my skin.

"We have to go. Soon." Grayson whispers urgently, worried.

"We can't, Grayson. We won't make it, especially not with a seven year old girl and the temperatures starting to drop. They'll find us and we'll end up exactly like Andi, Grayson. Dead." I tell him, irritated at him suddenly, for no apparent reason.

"I was listening outside Manson's tent. He said they're going to start preparing to move the show farther south for the cold season. He said the area is getting bored with the same old show and sales are dropping, so they're moving sooner than usual." Grayson explains quietly, "and that means we're farther from home. Farther from any chances of being found." It suddenly hits me then, how I never even hoped of being found. I knew no one was looking for me, but people were looking for Grayson. He wasn't the same kind of person as I was.

Back home, I was never at home anyway, always at some party or this person's house or wherever I wanted to be. My parents and I fought so often that they simply stopped caring when I didn't come home at night. So I did whatever I wanted. They probably still haven't even noticed I'm gone.

"How can we get out without being caught?" I ask him worriedly, not sure if I should go along with this and risk being killed.

Grayson smiles the sly grin of a fox. "We use our resources."