Chapter 9

By the time we arrived the party there were already many people dancing and drinking. The music was loud so it was really hard to understand what my cousin was saying. She was trying to tell me something but I couldn’t understand so she pulled me into a corner.

“Finally! Well, you’ll find it very hard to talk with guys in here. So, just try to lip read them or take them into the garden or something. But whatever you do, don’t go upstairs with anybody because they’ll think you want something.”

“What do you mean by something?” She laughed and gave me a strange look. At first I didn’t understand, well not until she started to make weird movements with her hands. “Oh! I get it!”

“Okay then. I’m going to get a drink and then talk to some people. Do you need anything?” Yeah, I need friends who I can talk to so I don’t stay forever alone in this stupid party. But instead of telling her that I just said no with my head. “See you later and have fun!” Have fun? How was I supposed to have fun when my cousin and only friend had left me alone in the jungle? I mean, at that moment everyone had already drunk a significant number of drinks. The jocks had gone wild breaking stuff and making drinking contests, couples were making out everywhere and drunken girls were showing their boobs and going upstairs with boys they didn’t even know. Then there was me. Juliet Miller, the school nerd, now upgraded version. Apparently, no one knew it was me, but I still didn’t have the guts to talk to someone and make friends or something.

I looked across the room and I saw a cute guy looking at me. He was kind of short but extremely cute. He had black hair and greenish brown eyes. He had a challenging smile in his face that made me think about Gerard. I missed him. Nevertheless I didn’t want to think about him, he was an idiot and he had hurt my feelings.

The guy still had his eyes on me and I blushed. Why the hell was he looking at me?! Oh no, he was coming in my direction! My hands were shaking and my mouth was dry. How was I going to talk to him? What was I going to say? And then I remembered what Emma had said.

“Hello, beautiful.” He spoke close to my ear, since the music was so loud. “Why is a gorgeous lady like you sitting here alone?” I immediately blushed and I couldn’t be redder.

“I’m just not into this kind of things.” I answered him without looking into those beautiful eyes.

“Oh, so if I asked you to dance, you wouldn’t come with me?” Was he asking me to dance? But I didn’t know how to dance! What was I going to do?! And suddenly luck smiled at me. A slow started to play and that I could dance. I just needed to hug him and let my feet move really slowly. But still… I had to hug him?!

“Well, I could open an exception just for you.” He smiled and grabbed my hand taking me to the dance floor. He put his hands on my back and I put mine on his neck trying not to make eye contact with him.

“You haven’t told me your name yet.” I said after a few minutes. The song was already ending.

“Frank. Frank Iero.” He whispered in my ear with the most seductive voice. A chill ran down my spine. “It’s your turn, now.” I looked at him afraid to tell him who I really was. I opened my mouth to say my name when…

“Miller?! Is that you?!” Oh no, not Ashley again. I turned around to face her. “It is you!” She laughed. I wanted to punch her so badly, but I couldn’t. I didn’t want to get in more trouble because of her.

“What do you want Ashley? I didn’t speak to Gerard again. Doesn’t that make you happy enough?”

“No, not really. You see, Miller, you can’t dye your hair, wear different clothes and think your life will change forever.” She got closer to me and grabbed my face. “You’re at the bottom, my dear Juliet. You’re the trashiest of all people in school. So, I’m sorry but I can’t let you pretend to be someone else. You just have to accept the fact you’re a loser and no one likes you.” My eyes filled up with tears and I only had time to run upstairs before I started to cry. She had won, once again.

I locked myself in the bathroom and cried. My makeup was ruined but I didn’t care. I was a loser anyway; no one cared about the loser, not even me.

“What’s taking so long? I need to go there too, get out!” Someone yelled from the outside and I unlocked the door getting out as fast as I could. I couldn’t go back downstairs, everyone was probably laughing at me. Besides, I didn’t want to face Ashley again. So I just tried to find an empty room where I could be alone. I knocked on three different doors and in all the rooms there were people so I tried again and surprisingly it was empty. I walked in and I sat on the bed crying. I hated my life. My mom was and overprotective drama queen. In school, everyone made fun of me. Ashley ruined my life and made me stop talking with the only guy I liked. And I hated it. I completely hated it.

The bedroom had a balcony with a bench so I just went there and sat on the bench watching the stars. It was a beautiful night but I didn’t like it at all. Why was I even there? I wanted to change; I wanted to be different and to be happy. And let’s be honest, I was particularly hot that night. If Ashley hadn’t humiliated me in front of everybody maybe I could have made friends. However I was sick of thinking about “if”, I wanted something good to happen to me for a change.

“Stupid Miller, why did you even born?” I asked myself out loud sighing. I was tired of feeling like this.

“Well, because otherwise, I would never have the chance to meet you. And that’s just wrong, don’t you agree?” I looked up to see who had spoken and I found him staring at me with the most beautiful smile in the world. Maybe something about that night could change for better; and hopefully for a very long time.