Him and Me- Fourteen.

Hey doll! Babysit tonight, please? :-)

I rolled my eyes as soon as I read Susan’s message, in spite of the smile that lighted up my face while I combed my way to my locker after second period. She really loved using words like “doll” and “hun” whenever she wanted me to babysit Cameron. Like she had to do that. I adored that little kid, and I had always loved babysitting for him. I missed that kid too, his cuteness and how he calls me Kay Kay.

Speaking of being called Kay Kay, right after Colby teased me again (he called me Kay Kay a few times, just to let you know), and just as I was getting riled up and extremely annoyed, a car’s honk suddenly blared. I was a bit startled, of course, and so was Colby. Turned out it was just Susan, and I was blocking her way to the garage. How we didn’t notice a car with headlights so bright they could blind, I had no idea. We were probably too busy annoying each other to have had given attention. I had to drive forward a little to make room for Susan’s car, and that was when Colby finally decided he had enough of my irritated face. He shot me that smirk of his before climbing down my pick-up and turned to the rear to retrieve his bike. He started to reach for his bike but then stopped. I climbed down my truck as well, watching in total amusement as Colby tried to figure out how to get his bike down. 

“You can carry it,” I said in mock helpfulness, fighting to keep my voice serious. He mumbled something beneath his breath, and I could see his distress that I had to hide a smile. Oh how fun was it to watch him squirm, even a little.

He shot me a glare then rolled his eyes. Cocking an eyebrow at me, he countered, “I know I have muscles Kayla, but I’m no incredible freaking Hulk.”

Of course he had inserted a vain comment in there, and I just had to roll my eyes back in return. What can I say? It was a habit. And it was a habit that I was particularly very fond of practicing around Colby.

Susan appeared then, smiling. It vanished though, when she saw Colby’s face. She then observed the scenario before her and she burst out laughing, much to Colby’s dismay and to my delight. I started laughing as well, and that earned Susan and me a glare from her nephew. At least I didn’t start it, Colby’s own aunt did. Ah, it was turning out to be a good night! Susan recovered quickly though, and went to see if she could get help from one of the neighbors. Luckily the guy living across them had some sort of plank that he let Colby use to get his bike down. All that time I was thinking what a nice guy he was. Colby and Susan thanked him, and Susan excused herself to get out of her business attire and into more comfortable clothes. I later learned that she had to pick Cameron up from a friend’s house. Aw, I was hoping to get to see the little guy.

Colby had already parked his bike in the garage as well, and I watched him as he closed the garage door. He turned to face me, and I leaned against my pick-up, bouncing one foot against the front tire. Although he had started teasing me again about my non-existent desire for him, my general animosity toward the boy had mellowed down. I didn’t know what it was really, but I felt like there was more to him than all that Mr. Jerk routine he had going (towards me, in particular) for the past couple weeks. Call me a cynic or whatever, but I always depended, for the lack of a better word, on first impressions when it came to meeting people. I didn’t like everyone I meet the first time (I am pretty sure you already noticed this). I did and always do try to be civil though, because I couldn’t stand it when people are impolite or disrespectful. Maybe that was the reason why I had never really had close friends, too. Those kinds of people you knew you could trust, outside your family. Tyler, of course, was an exception. Sure he was childish and exasperating at times, but he was a fun person, he could hold a conversation, and he treated me well. He knew how to be a friend.